Nasty water and ducks

arrowti

Songster
9 Years
Jul 20, 2014
Maine
We have a former wallow - basically a giant hole about 2 feet deep, 6 feet across, 5 feet wide, that the pigs dug to lay in the mud. Between the huge amount of rain and snowmelt it's basically turned into its own tiny pond. The ducks love it, since the pigs don't go there anymore as we downsized and they're in a different area. However, the water is a NASTY green and it bubbles in the sun. It doesn't stink, but it sure looks gross!

They swim in it every day and drink the water. I just want to know if this is safe for the ducks (health wise). It's probably a massive cesspool of bacteria by now. If bad, what can we add to the water to make it safer/cleaner? It doesn't look like it's going to dry up any time soon (or ever), so any ideas would be good. :)

The weather varies from 50 degrees at night to 90 in the day.

if it stays stagnate to long there is a chance it can give them botulism. I would add fresh water to it every couple days or fill in hole.

Good luck:)

I'll try dilluting it with fresh water then. If only it would drain more than it rained! I almost wish I could put a pipe in the ground to help drain it somewhere the ducks can't get to...

Oh what am I kidding, those ducks know how to get into anything!

Back
Top Bottom