Native American Heritage Anyone?

Quote:
thumbsup.gif

I was always told we were part Black Dutch, which I took to mean someone from the Black Forest area....lol....Years later I started having reaccuring dreams of Native American women, this got me digging into Native American history. I found out that those individuals that claimed to be Black Dutch during the removal, were really of mixed European/Native Americans. So I started questioning my older relatives, and that's when I found out I had Native American ancestry. When I told some of my other relatives from my dad's side, found out that I had more on my dad's side too. Once I got a computer I started working on my family tree, and was able to make the connections, and was surprised to find out that I had several ancestors laced here and there, all thru out my family tree, during different time periods. Also found out that some of my early American ancestors were Quakers that literaly came on the same ship with William Penn to be apart of the "Holy Experiment".....and a bunch of other neat stuff, would totally derail the thread to go into...lol.

Thats pretty Darn Cool! I havent been able to go that far back, Im hoping I can go to Pennsylvania soon so that I am Talk to My great grandma about this before its too late . ( she is 94 and still living on her own, Stubborn pride of hers
smile.png
)

Would you like me to put down black dutch?

No, I listed it as Melungeon instead of black dutch. Have you ever tried some of those ancestor family tree type of sites? The are kinda expensive for subscribtions, but Ancestry dot com, does have a month by month service......I just work on it for a month, then maybe a few months later work on it for another month. Cheaper that way.
tongue.png

Quote:
Thats pretty Darn Cool! I havent been able to go that far back, Im hoping I can go to Pennsylvania soon so that I am Talk to My great grandma about this before its too late . ( she is 94 and still living on her own, Stubborn pride of hers
smile.png
)

Would you like me to put down black dutch?

No, I listed it as Melungeon instead of black dutch. Have you ever tried some of those ancestor family tree type of sites? The are kinda expensive for subscribtions, but Ancestry dot com, does have a month by month service......I just work on it for a month, then maybe a few months later work on it for another month. Cheaper that way.
tongue.png

Okie dokie then

Ill have to check that out, Thanks!

big_smile.png
I do the 2 week freebee and then pay a month every so often. Because my Native ancestors were mixed they refused the roles. I came across a cool site by a Tsalagi man on an AOL group. He said just because your ancestors weren't on a roll doesn't make you any less Native.

I have heard you can have genetic testing done to get exact percentages of ancestry (not sure how it works or if true) Has anyone done this?

I'm not unfortunately....always wished I was tho. One of my DILs great-grandmothers was 1/2 Native American. A fact that sad to say she was ashamed of so even tho she didn't pass until DIL was 15 she would say very little about her heritage. We've been trying to trace down some info and it's looking like she was probably Choctaw from the little bit we've found.

sad.png
Assimillation = self-preservation. That's why so many just keep quiet.I have a friend whose dad was full Apache and her mom was French and Lakota. The mom was even born on the res. She refused to acknowledge her heritage and had her ceremonial mocassins in the closet a good 30 years. My friend finally got her to a few pow wows as she got older. Mine were too proud and just kept silent.
sad.png
idunno.gif

gig.gif
Has to be girl. I tell my husband I'm so bossy because I come from strong Cherokee women.( we were the property owners, kid keepers, garden holders, and if he acted up all we had to do was put his stuff on the porch).
gig.gif
gig.gif
gig.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif
lau.gif

choctaw

great grandmother (mother's, father's, mother) was full blood choctaw
she died when grandpa was about 8 in child birth,
sad.png

Last edited:

Back