Natural cat litter in coop?

I love sweet PDZ, it is used by a lot of members here. Its fine, cream colored, and poop just sifts out. It was on sale and I'll try stall fresh when its gone. I don't notice as much dust as pone shavings.
I love your coop .
I used it on my poop board before. It definitely was great for smell but very dusty.

I use dust reduced pine shavings and don't have any complaints.
I have used some that might be ok if changed at least once a week, but we like to go in and sit with them and wood shavings stick to everything (clothes wise) and is hard to get off. It also isn't as easy to sift-I use a kitty litter scoop with the coffee or sand.

If by natural cat litter, do you mean pine pellets? As cat litter, pine pellets are crazy expensive. The same product is also sold as horse stall bedding for $6.50 for a 40lb bag. I believe some here have used that for chickens? But wet it first so it’s in saw dust form. Seems like that would not solve your dust problem. I use PDZ on my poop tray and it is dusty - I wear a mask anytime I scoop it. Pine shavings and hemp have both not been dusty for me as coop bedding, as the material itself - but chickens themselves generate a lot of dust, in addition to what blows in from outside.

If by natural cat litter, do you mean pine pellets? As cat litter, pine pellets are crazy expensive. The same product is also sold as horse stall bedding for $6.50 for a 40lb bag. I believe some here have used that for chickens? But wet it first so it’s in saw dust form. Seems like that would not solve your dust problem. I use PDZ on my poop tray and it is dusty - I wear a mask anytime I scoop it. Pine shavings and hemp have both not been dusty for me as coop bedding, as the material itself - but chickens themselves generate a lot of dust, in addition to what blows in from outside.
No. The worlds best litter says it is 100% natural corn and even the scented is 100% natural it says? There is also clay litter that is supposed to be 100% natural, just wondering if it would be safe?

Last edited:
I mix it in the dust bath, but it is pretty dusty and very expensive-I don't think it would improve dust or cost?
Yea I hate to say it but I think you are finding out the hard way that no matter what you use you are going to have dust.

Can you get a picture of what the outside looks like? Are you sure you have enough ventilation in there?

I noticed you figured out that your ramp was too steep at first and you raised it a little. Are they using the ramp now? Because it might still be a little bit too steep.

When you said that you and your grandson get in the coop, do you mean inside that little area were the chickens are pictured in the sand?

No. The worlds best litter says it is 100% natural corn and even the scented is 100% natural it says? There is also clay litter that is supposed to be 100% natural, just wondering if it would be safe?
Your coop is very nice but I see a lot of dust collectors-if you are bothered by dust it will drive you mad trying to keep it clean. Maybe remove the intricate decorations and go for flat decor that can get a quick wipe down.
Regarding corn litter- here’s my experience with ‘clean corn’-there is no such thing.
I once had a corn furnace-similar to pellet but with, well, dry clean corn. Smelled fantastic- but the dust from the bags or full kernels…Corn is nasty dusty, like corn flower fine.

The same product is also sold as horse stall bedding for $6.50 for a 40lb bag. I believe some here have used that for chickens? But wet it first so it’s in saw dust form.
I use pine pellet bedding from Tractor Supply and mix with Sweet PDZ.
It makes the coop smell nice- if you like pine- and sifts with a cat scoop. But after 2 weeks it gets dusty from dander, dirt from dirt baths and so on.
I “dust” my coop about once a month in winter, every couple months in summer focusing on outlet covers, exposed cords (mine are on ceiling), ceiling vents and corners where creepy cobwebs form.

Back
Top Bottom