Natural Hen Incubation??

Clucklandia

Songster
Oct 7, 2017
My Coop
My Coop
Hi everyone! Iv'e been researching and haven't found anything. My question is, how does a hen incubate?
How do they keep temp and humidity?
How long do they leave the eggs to eat or walk?
How cold do the eggs then get?
Does she sit on them while hatching too??
Most importantly...
HOW DO THEY DO LOCKDOWN???

Please answer :)

I have a batch hatching this Saturday!! (In an Incubator) am having sudden problems with temp. That's why I wanna know what is natural.

Last edited:
Hens lose the feathers on their stomach which allows for heat and humidity to the eggs. They only leave for 20 minutes a day for food and dust bath and run back to their eggs. They sit on them until 3 days after the first one hatches.

Just make sure you don't skip any days pulling eggs from any laying hens. I missed a day and my hand jumped on the new eggs instead of the one she's been hatching so now I'm not sure if they will hatch.

Hi everyone! Iv'e been researching and haven't found anything. My question is, how does a hen incubate?
How do they keep temp and humidity?
How long do they leave the eggs to eat or walk?
How cold do the eggs then get?
Does she sit on them while hatching too??
Most importantly...
HOW DO THEY DO LOCKDOWN???

Please answer :)

I have a batch hatching this Saturday!! (In an Incubator) am having sudden problems with temp. That's why I wanna know what is natural.
I have used a broody hen twice to hatch eggs of her own plus other hens eggs in my flock. She seldom left her nest, and only to eat drink and poop. They turn the eggs constantly just a little. They can hear and feel movement, somif an egg goes bad theyveill push it away. I put my hen is a separate area with its own fenced area. They were in a shed, and as the chicks hatched and dried they could creep out to eat and drink closeby while the hen continued to sit on the remainimg eggs. When all were hatched I would take them out in the yard supervised and watch them. She did the best job. It was so easy for me, and Mom was so proud and capable. I would always choose this way if possible. Much higher rates of hatch and more enjoyable. The chicks learn so much from their Mom.

I have used a broody hen twice to hatch eggs of her own plus other hens eggs in my flock. She seldom left her nest, and only to eat drink and poop. They turn the eggs constantly just a little. They can hear and feel movement, somif an egg goes bad theyveill push it away. I put my hen is a separate area with its own fenced area. They were in a shed, and as the chicks hatched and dried they could creep out to eat and drink closeby while the hen continued to sit on the remainimg eggs. When all were hatched I would take them out in the yard supervised and watch them. She did the best job. It was so easy for me, and Mom was so proud and capable. I would always choose this way if possible. Much higher rates of hatch and more enjoyable. The chicks learn so much from their Mom.
A hen naturally provides heat and humuidity by pulling out feathers from her belly. This makes it warmer and her skin is moist. No idea how much the eggs cool when hen is off, but they have been doing it for thousands of years!

Back
Top Bottom