Nebraska State Poultry Association 128th Annual Poultry Show (2012)

So you're saying I don't have to have an NPIP certification number? Just proof that the birds at the show are pullorum-typhoid free? I wonder if I could find someone to do just some of my birds...
hmm.png

Actually, Nevada has apparently just started the NPIP program and it's $5-7 per bird to be tested and every bird under 300 birds, has to be tested. Not just for pullorum-typhoid but also for avian influenza and MG. Very pricey when you have more than 10 birds.
You should be able to have just the birds you plan on bringing tested. And that's a crazy price on the testing fees! Every state is so different with NPIP, I can't keep up with it!

Hey Guys!
I am thinking of heading out to this show. It would be my very first. I am subscribed to the Poultry Press and know a few grooming tips but does anyone have any other links to send me that could help me make my birds look/act their best? I am nervous. I used to show horses in 4-h almost ten years ago, but this is a way different ball game.

Also, where do I get an entry form?

First consideration is condition. Make sure you have high quality birds and that their feathers are in the best possible condition... not frayed, broken and have the ends bit off by the hens. If you have one that you want to show but it has some condition problems, if its not too severe, you can pluck the broken/frayed feather and it will grow back in in about 6 weeks. Also, you'll need to keep the birds separate from each other so that they don't get picked again. Unless you have a very docile breed, I recommend separating them.

Andalusians, my birds, are not docile. They're not as flighty as people would like to believe but they're aggressive birds and the hens like to pick feathers from everybody at various times.

Get them used to being handled, if they're not already. You can train them to pose as in the standard with bits of favorite treats. It requires tremendous patience. I'm only passing on what I've read, I don't have the patience to do this. But, you can get them used to people passing by very closely. You can also get a white, long sleeved shirt on to take them out of the cage and examine them. That way they won't be so terrified when the judge reaches in... unless the judges in Nebraska wear a different color judging jacket.

About a week before show time, you'll want to bathe your bird using baby shampoo. It cleans them well and doesn't remove all the oils from their feathers. Be careful not to break any feathers. Make sure their feet are nice and clean. Some people go so far as to use a toothpick or something to clean under the edges of the scales on their legs/feet but this can make them bleed if you're not really careful. I, personally, have never done it... I just make sure their feet are clean along with the rest of their body. Rinse really really well after shampooing as soap left in the feathers will cause them to change shape, for instance, a curled sickle feather could dry practically straight! Then you need to make sure you get them dry without breaking any feathers.

VetRx on the face and comb the day before judging. You don't want to show a bird whose face looks oily, only clean and nice and red.

I clean my show cages often as I don't want the judge to have to pick up my birds with manure on their feet!

Oh, and they MUST NOT have any bugs of any sort. No lice and no mites.

Sorry I don't have any links to send to you but this is what I do.

Hey Guys!
I am thinking of heading out to this show. It would be my very first. I am subscribed to the Poultry Press and know a few grooming tips but does anyone have any other links to send me that could help me make my birds look/act their best? I am nervous. I used to show horses in 4-h almost ten years ago, but this is a way different ball game.

Just PM me your email address and I'll let you know when the website is up and running and has the catalog with the entry form loaded and ready for you to print.

I believe if you type in the search bar here on BYC there are also a couple threads on prepping birds to show

Hey Guys!

I found this link for you from a BYC member that's shown for a long time. I hope this helps. No need to be nervous (although I totally understand! ), once you've entered the birds, done the prep work and brought the birds and have them in their pens for the show, you've done most of the work! When you get to the show, the first place you will want to come is to the show office to talk to me, and I'll get you your exhibitor number and can answer any questions you have.

http://www.pathfindersfarm.com/Prepping.html

Just updating another set of meets approved for the show.

American Bantam Association - State meet
Polish Breeders Club - Special meet
American Sumatra Association - State meet
National Call Breeders of America - Special meet

There are several more pending and will update as they come in.

Alright, updates on Meets again. I'm going to go ahead and just list them all again in this one post with the new ones. Still have some more pending, but things are coming together.

American Bantam Association - State
American Poultry Association - Special
American Sumatra Association - State
American Buttercup Club - Special
National Jersey Giant Club - State
Old English Game Bantam Club of America - Special
American Sussex Association - Special
National Call Breeders of America - Special
Belgian D'uccle & Booted Bantam Club - Special
Polish Breeders Club - Special
Dominique Club of America - Special
United Orpington Club - State

Galivina,
Any word if a special or state meet is at your show for Cochins Intl or Amer Silkie Bantam club? I'm tempted to try showing out in NE, especially if its around 1200 birds, that's pretty good size.
I was just emailing with someone from the Cochins Intl club about a half an hour ago. I am not sure what type of meet yet ( I would guess special or state), the details are coming with the paperwork in the mail. I'll be touching base with the silkie club as well this week since I haven't heard back yet.

Oh...if you want me to shoot an email off to you when the catalog is ready to go, just PM me your name and email and I'll add you to the list!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom