Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenwhisperer123, Apr 29, 2009.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    There is one in West Point I saw advertised on CL on April 10th.

And there is the poultry show in Scribner, umm...when was that again? Next weekend is my niece' birthday party and I HAVE to go, dont think a chicken swap would be an excuse to miss my only related little one in the fam.

2. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Oh yeah...I forgot about the West Point sale coming up. The prices last year didn't go too high, bad for sellers, great for buyers I suppose.
    The poultry show in Scribner is a one day show, April 23rd. I just got the catalog in the mail, did you still want me to make a copy of it for you?
    Haha...that's totally understandable about not missing family gatherings, they are much more important!

3. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Oh yes, please I would like a copy. I hope to go, never know when the weekends are going to be nice. Fun to go when its a pretty day.

I have lil ones due to hatch in the bator, african goslings on the 2nd or 3rd, so something to look forward to. Man oh man, we got an tentative offer on our house in town and mercury is going into retrograde, NOT a good time for sure to sign anything. Ugh.... MIR for me is a horrid time, ruling planet being Mercury.....I look forward to getting overcharged, falling and hurting myself multiple times, getting things mixed up and mixed around, and misunderstanding almost everything that is told to me.
    Its a good time to clean house and organize and hide. [​IMG]

4. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Ok...I just double checked my PMs and I still have your address. I'll get a copy of it as soon as I can, my little town doesn't have a place with a copier, so next time I run to lincoln I'll get one for you and send it off.
    I didn't remember you had your house up for sale. Were you going to have to move very far if you do end up selling at some point?
    I don't know a whole lot about signs/planets/etc, etc..but I do have to say the cleaning and organizing doesn't sound like a half bad idea...I know when I'm feeling overwhelmed, it can be a nice distraction and give me time to just be.

5. Aemelia

Aemelia Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Lincoln, Nebraska
    Newbie here. I'm originally from Kearney but we have been in Lincoln for 10 years.

I've been wanting to take advantage of Lincoln's you can have two chicken rules forever but just last week got my husband to give in...so since we can have 2 chickens that means I got 3 just in case one doesn't make it.

6. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Haha that's hilarious...chicken math at its finest there i see. Welcome to the Forum! What kind of chickens did you get?

7. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Welcome, Aemelia

I started out with the 3/one didnt make it as well whenI lived in Lincoln.

gilavina, I used to live in the city of Lincoln, but two years ago we found a foreclosed house with 3 1/2 acres. I had always felt drawn to live in the country, and then when I hatched out some roosters that were so sweet and I couldnt keep them, it was the final straw. Cried and cried at givin up my babies, and started looking for a place.

Never would have been able to afford one that was priced normally, for sure. This place was a disaster and we are STILL cleaning up and working on the place, and have not sold the house in Lincoln. Werent too serious about selling until these last few months, when we have totally run out of money, we still had stuff there and stuff here and we had 30 years of collected STUFF. It was awful.

We finally have all of it moved except a garage full. We sold a lot, but we still managed to load the pole barn full of stuff. Makes ya want to live bare bones it does, after moving and going thru so much crap, I tell ya.

So, anyhow, thats the story. We live a few miles north of Crete, 22 miles from Lincoln now and have our Lincoln house up for sale by owner. Really hated to list it as everyone wins if you sell by owner, due to those extreme commissions. If we had even 20 folks look at it, it would get snapped up in a heartbeat but when you do by owner, very few seem to come look. [​IMG] Thats the problem, is getting folks IN. We LOVED the house, but on a busy street. I sure dont miss that. Took a nap there other day, and gosh, it was awful, zoom zoom after getting used to only hearing screeching guineas. lol

Guess we wouldnt have lived there for 20 years if we didnt love it. Turns out dear hubby is leaving tho, or shall I say dumb hubby? lol I repeatedly asked him two years ago, after my mom died, about moving south to warmer climes as I HATE" to winters. Absolutely hate them, I hibernate, cant breathe when the air is cold, asthma locks up lungs, etc. So now, me an sis have this big ol place in the country with 3 acres and are gonna be all by ourselves. Gonna be real tuff, so not sure what we are gonna do. I can make it without a man around, except for I am not strong at all, so the heavy stuff is gonna be a pain.

Hubby says he will stick around to help move stuff, and until we sell house. Torn tween telling him dont let the door hit your butt on way out or making him do all heavy work before he leaves, which is what I deserve,right? [​IMG] Like tilling garden, planting, fixing hardware cloth on bottom of pen that didnt get done last fall, picking all the trash up around the place that has blown from all winter, etc etc, chopping down stupid tree like he has been gonna do for last two years...etc, etc... Oops I shouldnt have gotten started on chore list. lol At the moment, he has been staying at house in town, while I do all the stuff out here. He comes for like 4 hours or so once a week to "do stuff". Big whoop!
    Well didnt mean to make a rant...but I am a bit lost at the moment for sure

8. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:That sounds like a lot of tough decisions and things to sort out for sure. Hopefully the house will sell in Lincoln sooner than later for you. That has to be kind of nervewracking getting everything moved and dealing with still cleaning up the place you moved to and trying to sell your own home, and dealing with the hubs....I'm glad you have your sister. Sounds like she's good people for you. [​IMG]

I moved back from Minneapolis after living there for 9 years, so I totally understand what you mean about just being happy no longer living in a city. I came back to help my parents around their place for a while. Its really hard to watch parents getting older and seeing health failing and etc. I am not unhappy I made the move, it has been a challenge in many ways and the job market has been tough to crack...just working part time at the moment and growing most of my own foods, and selling art and poultry at times. It never seems to get easier does it? I have my own clearing of property I'm doing as well...30+ years of accumulation...its a challenge for sure, but it keeps me busy and keeps my mind off of all the things I could be getting anxiety over. I try not to worry, but I think maybe its in my blood...I drive myself nuts sometimes.

btw...I think you would probably [​IMG] if you were to see my pages of to do and chore items.

If you ever need to chat or vent or etc, feel free to PM me.. [​IMG] Life is hard... and sometimes confusing and overwhelming

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks gila, I appreciate the offer. It gets me down. I am not sure we can afford this place. I mean I KNOW we cant, unless we rent out a couple of rooms, or take in some foster kids, which at this age I am not sure I am up for anymore, as I get umm..."too emotionally invested", is what the state called it when I fought for my last kids rights. Probably have me on a black list after that incident anyhow. I am sure I am on record for being a big PITA [​IMG] Yea, so I treated em like my own, big deal. sheesh

Cant really do daycare as we are probably too far out. Its exhausting trying to figure out exactly what to do.

Anyhow, I feel really rough all day today. Murdered a lil chickie. I found a hen setting and set a bowl of food by her this weekend, as the roosters were pestering her relentlessly when she would come out to eat and drink. Didnt check it yesterday, and kicking myself. Today I checked and the bowl had flipped over on two of the eggs. One of the eggs was bad but the other was pipped and had been hatching before the bowl flipped on it, therefore making it so the hen couldnt set and it froze to death. I feel awful about it, it was such a cute lil thing and it got all the way to hatching and then freak accident.
    And my peacock is NOT doing well, after the dog tried for him the other night. He went into shock, and yesterday he was limping. Last night I finally put him in a box with shavings and covered him with a blanket. Not sure if he is really hurt or just still in shock. I have looked him all over and dont find any wounds. [​IMG] But he started limping yesterday morning, I think he might have got his foot caught in something in the garage on top of other stuff. Poor lil dude. He just lays there looking at me, all sad like. He is much happier laying in his box than being out, which is NOT normal. They are not taking to ranging very well.

Is anyone going to Palmyra this weekend? How bout West Point? It is supposed to be a gorgeous day, I really shouldnt buy anything but sometimes they do have some wonderful deals on pet carriers an stuff, which I can always use, even the little ones.

Everyone take care now...

10. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:hey thndrdancr,

I was going to try to make it to Palmyra, but just couldn't swing getting off work. I am going to try to get some birds together to send with my uncle to the sale tho if I can. I grew up going to the Palmyra sale and have yet to be able to swing going to one since I've moved back to NE. I'm hoping I will be able to pull one off soon.

i know how you feel about trying to figure out how to make things work. I feel like that's what I've been doing since I moved. I hope for your sake that house you have in lincoln sells soon...hopefully that would alleviate some stress for you.

I hate when things don't go well with animals...like if an accident like that happens. It really gets to me too...I had a pygmy doe going through her first kidding and it went horribly wrong and got it to the vet as soon as we could...which took a bit since it was a sunday..but it was just a rough one, lost the kid..and the doe. I loved that little doe...I cried and cried...and kept thinking back through wondering if there was anything I could do to save her..but sometimes..things happen that are not what I or anyone would like...and sometimes I isn't easy to deal with, nor does it seem fair...

oh, before I forget, that poultry show catalog should get to you soon, I sent it out monday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by