Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenwhisperer123, Apr 29, 2009.

1. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Oh, thanks! I forgot to tell you I got it this morning. I appreciate it.

Too bad you cant make it, I have a couple of roosters I should pack up and sell. I hate to see them go as food, but if I get there early maybe someone would buy them as a flock roo, since they are purebred orps. They are very pretty, but extras. Wasnt impressed with my very big gorgeous roo that I have been trying to sell. He has been in a coop with his ladies (he voluntarily took over the coop) and a young blue came in today and what did that big ol monster do? He had his head hid in the corner for a roo 3/4 his size. The big weenie! At least he hasnt come after me yet. Several have been giving me that evil eye!

So sorry to hear about your doe and kid. Yea you keep going over things. My dog is really good with the birds, its just we got home after dark, the young peas arent sure where to go or what to do with themselves yet, so they been going in the garage. We got home, and sis let dog out before I could tell her not to just yet. Then we opened garage door and had light on. He was perched high in the tree. His brother was just standing there on the ground. Bandit didnt bother the guy on the ground, but the pea in the tree came swooping in, ready to be put up and I THINK the dog thought it was an owl, cuz he let up, but he did tumble him, scaring the pea badly and he took off out into the night with dog in hot pursuit. Dog again let off when I told him NO BIRDS! Poor dog is so confused, he went after an owl a few weeks ago, and I praised him so he is like "huh?" So the pea spent the cold night outside after being tumbled and chased by big dog. He was back next morning but has looked "off" ever since. Like its just a cold confusing world he just isnt sure about. I know how he feels. [​IMG]

Yea my peas I worry over like kids, they are such expensive birds and I baby them, but really do all my birds. Allergies been awful so finally threw all my silkies in with 2 of my sweetest lil hens that always get beat up. Went out to feed them and sweet hens turned into monsters, one silkie had the whole back of her neck pecked almost to the bone. And then i have a chickie with bent toes that I can NOT get her to wear her boots long enuff to straighten those toes. Always somethin with the ornery critters.

I had some geese due to hatch last weekend but totally messed them up when I had my emotional breakdown and didnt turn them like I should. phhhffftt. Well things have to look up.

I posted some iris bulbs on CL for sale, but will have to sell a whole lot of them to make the mortgage! [​IMG] Wish me luck!

2. goatranch

goatranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2009
    Does any one know what day Palmyra is selling chickens? Has anyone gone? I am looking for some silkie hens.

3. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:The palmyra exotic sale is this saturday. I'll have some birds going down, but no silkies. If you don't have any luck finding any there, I might be able to help you find some. I know a few people around that raise them and there is a poultry show coming up at the end of the month and usually there are quite a few for sale in the sale coops.

4. goatranch

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks Gilavina!! I am going to try to go.

5. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:sounds good, glad to help! Wish I could go to the actual sale, just couldn't swing getting out of work tho. Hope you find what you are looking for. Sounds like the weather will be decent too!

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Yup, I am going to go too. I have a couple of orpington roosters to sell. Had 3 but went out to coop this morning and the big pretty had died. I had inadvertantly locked him in with another rooster and he died of a heart attack/fright. What a big weenie. The roo I had him locked in with was 1/2 his size. But I saw him getting beat up day before yesterday, then didnt let anyone out yesterday as I was gone all day working. [​IMG] He didnt have a mark on him except two bloody peck marks on his comb. [​IMG] I feel bad, I should have checked them before work yesterday morn and I would have thrown the imposter roo out.

Goatranch, I am so sorry you are still looking for silkie's. I need a new roo for new blood in my stock but really want to gravitate toward showgirls. Right now my little girl isnt laying as I moved her to a new coop, but I can probably get you 1/2 dozen eggs possibly next time you are around Lincoln, if she starts laying again.

Jill

7. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Well...its looking like maybe I am going to be able to go after work today...my uncle just stopped by to take down the birds for me with his this morning and said it doesn't start til noon...i'll be out of work by 2pm which is more the average for when they start in on the birds (it used to be earlier when I was a kid). I wouldn't mind being able to go. I grew up going to Palmyra and have yet in the last year and a half since moving back to NE, to be able to go to one of the exotic sales. Thundrdncr...I am not sure yet what I'll be wearing (probably a tshirt or sweatshirt) but I have red hair and gauged piercing...i'll have some art nouveau wood carved long earrings in..pretty sure i'll be the only one with them...figured that's the easiest way to identify me if you wanted to come over to say hi!

I'm hoping there are lots of people at the sale!

Oh, and I lost a cockerel to that same thing as well. Its so disheartening and sad....of course the cockerel I lost was one of my best....why does it always seem to go that way??

8. goatranch

Dec 8, 2009
    Thanks everyone. It ended up that I could not go to the sale [​IMG] It was a great day. I hope everyone who went enjoyed themselves. Thndrdancr, thanks for thinking of me. I have 38 eggs in the incubator. I have lost all but 2 that I ordered from the hatchery. I have 2 about 5 months old. If anyone hears of some hens of any color, please let me know. I have a friend who has silkies that lay every day, but she does nothing with the eggs. I have told her I would buy every silkie egg she could come up with. [​IMG] Enjoy the rest of your weekend everyone!!!

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    goatranch,
    You didnt miss a thing. It was pretty awful and I am thoroughly disheartened. I just wrote a post about it and darned thing timed out, so not doing it again. But anyhow, foreigners bought up all the cheap roosters, and I think its more and more becoming just a place to buy cheap roos and goats for eating.

My beloved purebred blue orps went to them for dinner. I wouldnt mind it so much but they were heartlessly throwing them all in already overstuffed cages, flinging by the legs, I cried when I saw how they were treating my babies.

And one call duck hen was dying as they were auctioning her off, and they were joking about it. They dont put any money back into the place and its literally falling apart. I am depressed after going, really depressed. [​IMG]

I was thinking of going to West Point tomorrow, but after today I dont have much heart.

Anyhow, hardly anyone was there, no sellers, not many types of birds, 1/3 of the folks of last year. I know Madison had theirs today too so maybe thats why the bad turnout.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2011
  10. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Gila, I seemed to have misplaced the Scribner show guide you sent me.

I will find it around here somewhere, but can you give me details again as to what day and what time it starts. I thought bout showing my roosters I sold. I should have, then at least I could have sold them, even cheaply and they wouldnt have gone to dinner. [​IMG] sigh...

At the Palmyra sale, I sold a bunch of peacock feathers too, made into a bouquet in a big cut-glass vase. Last year just a batch went for $12, this year they could barely get a bid on mine of a $1. Not that I expected $12 but the vase was worth that much. It really wasnt worth the effort I put into it to get my stuff ready to sell, better to advertise on CL I think. Live and learn.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by