Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenwhisperer123, Apr 29, 2009.

1. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011
    Hello everyone!!! I'm from SE Nebraska and just got some chicks. We have silkies, Easter eggers and one polish. They are only 2 weeks old. If anyone has any suggestions for a newbie please help! [​IMG].

2. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:How's the peacock doing now? Today was a work inside day, but I also got some work done on my records for my breeding programs. It feels good to be getting caught up. I have to say the other day i was rebanding chicks and they are filling out nicely! Also, I was thinking when I get closer to having space in the incubator, I'd take some of those BBS orp eggs from ya...how long do you think it would take you to collect 3 dozen? That way I know how far in advance to let you know when I will have a bit of a lull in my hatches so you will have plenty of time to collect them. [​IMG]

3. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Welcome PoppiesChicks!

Good to see another from Nebraska and congrats on the new chicks! They should keep ya busy! If you ever have questions people here are happy to help! Where in SE Nebraska are ya at? I'm north of Waverly a few miles.

4. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Mohawk just went into convulsions and died in my arms. [​IMG] I am so so sad, he was doing so much better and Cherokee will be so upset. He looked for him for days until I brought him out the other day.

I worked all day yesterday and didnt feed him any scrambled eggs and he wasnt eating the gamebird I had in a bowl for him. He basically died of starvation and I feel so guilty. Why didnt I cook some up for him, its not all that hard. [​IMG] I feel so so guilty. [​IMG]

My poor baby peacock. Weird, just when he started walking again...I guess it just took too much out of him, he was ALL bones and his poo was water and white urates(?).

5. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Aww...I'm sorry Jill...it is never easy losing an animal. I hope that your other peacock will find a new buddy to hang with. I recently lost a pygmy doe during a kidding turned bad (vet couldn't save her) and her sister has been mopey ever since...here's to hoping both your peacock and the doe I have left can find a new pal.

6. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Thanks Vicki ,

Yea, my Cherokee is moping. He is hanging on the front porch and looking and looking into the kitchen window. Breaks my heart.

Oh and I feel like crud. I knew he was recovering and getting better so I was wracking my mind as to what went wrong and it hit me. I had just burned hash browns in my stupid stupid teflon pan. And someone even posted like two weeks ago about the same thing happened to his chicks, squawks, convulsions, immediate death. So now I feel double responsible. I know thats what it was.

I dont even LIKE teflon pans, think they should be banned buts its all you can find around here anymore. [​IMG]

On a good note, did get quite a lot done this weekend, didnt get taxes done yet tho. Filed an extension, that way I am not quite so pressured. Found out my temps on my bator were 4.5 off, too high, no wonder all my geese eggs went bad. [​IMG] And I had sebbies in there too. DRATS!

Oh and bout the eggs, it shouldnt take me but about 4 days notice to collect that many, altho I caught my silkie mating one of my splash orp hens! I think I knocked him off before he did the deed but not 100% sure. [​IMG] Didnt even think that was possible. Silly silkies have went feral and I dont know how they have survived this last two months out on their own. That roo takes care of his ladies mainly and normally doesnt bother anyone else. I am really impressed by him. I was going to give him to our neighbor as he is my girls brother, but he is fearless and will chase those 8 and 10 lb roos right around the yard and doesnt let up. They respect him.

Not sure I will make it to Scribner, really had planned on it but with gas the way it is, money is so tight its squeaking. Makes me mad too, they keep saying over and over there is no shortage but we are still being taken to the cleaners.
    My moms 84 Honda civic Wagon got 45 mpg when we first got it (like the first 15 years). We took good care of it and I drove it up until someone totalled us from behind two years ago. Even after all those years, it still got 39 mpg in its old age that last 8 years or so. So had it for almost 25 years. I would have driven it til it dropped but we never put high miles on it, so it still was under 100,000. I still miss it. If they made a car back then that got that kind of mileage, you know they should be up to 85 and over mpg. I remember being able to fill up for $5 just 3 years backbefore the outrageous hike, the store clerks were like "why even bother?" And I would say the tanks full! And it had been on E. [​IMG] I just dont get why I cant find another one. Looked at new Volkswagon bugs and they arent even rated for 45 and you cant fit a large screen tv in them either. Man I miss that car.

7. PoppiesChicks

PoppiesChicks Out Of The Brooder

Apr 14, 2011

Good to see another from Nebraska and congrats on the new chicks! They should keep ya busy! If you ever have questions people here are happy to help! Where in SE Nebraska are ya at? I'm north of Waverly a few miles.

I live south of Syracuse but I work in Lincoln. I have family that farms in Waverly too.

8. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska

I live south of Syracuse but I work in Lincoln. I have family that farms in Waverly too.

Oh yeah? Who are you related to in Waverly? I wish I had a farm...I just have a small acreage I share with my parents. The joys of getting watching them get older. How long of a drive is that for you to get from Syracuse to Lincoln everyday?

9. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:yeah...teflon is everywhere...that's why I love cast iron. It takes a bit to get used to cooking in them....since the temps differ a bit, but I love them.

That's great you got so much done...did you get any of that crappy snow over where you are the other day? It was miserable here. I planted seedlings most of the day...but am hoping to get some stuff planted outside tomorrow. I have some spinach seeds soaking...so I better be able to get them out without any rain dampering my window of opportunity. From what I could see it doesn't look like rain til tuesday.

I understand about Scribner. If I weren't helping to put the show on and also meeting someone to pick up a pair of chocolate runner ducks I would probably not even worry about going. I've got so much other stuff to do...and am starting a second job, so I am trying to adjust and figure out balance. I've got some plans in the works too that I'm hashing out for the future...so hopefully I'll be able to make some headway.

I'll let you know about the eggs soon...Ive got some prep work to for the show and I think I have some family coming the day after easter to stay for a few days. I am still waiting on details about that. I'm thinking its going to be an early night...Its gonna be a busy busy week.

10. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Welcome to all they newbies! Feel free to chat a bit, all the other state threads have over 300 posts and here we are wading thru molasses. No one chats here, I dont get it.

Anyhow, yea, I hate Teflon. We have our cast iron we packed up and bought out, need to find them. We have a gas stove so we need to good pans now. We did have a ceramic top stove, hated it, absolutely hated it. Looked pretty but not for me.

We actually had power go out and were still able to cook and stay warm in the kitchen last month!

Yes, Gila we had the yukky snow too. Where are you locacted by the way? I am 6 miles north of Crete, 20 miles west of Lincoln, 8 miles east of Milford. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by