Nebraskans Speak Up!!! NEBRASKA ROCKS!!

Discussion in 'Where am I? Where are you!' started by chickenwhisperer123, Apr 29, 2009.

1. gilavina

gilavina Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:No problem, I just came in for an afternoon cup of coffee. Needed a break for a few minutes from working in the garden. The show is Saturday April 23rd. The showroom opens at 7am, for people bringing in birds the morning of...anyone is welcome to come in at that time, but judging starts at 9am.

Sorry about Palmyra...I didn't end up making it over there. Work went over a bit, but my uncle said it was an odd day. I know that there were several sales the same day/ weekend, I think it might have killed off some of the buyers. There was madison, hickman (I think that's the one I'm thinking of), westpoint, and seargent. I also know that Dale, the owner of the Palmyra sale is back to trucking again and I wonder if there is less time to put into the sale barn. That's sad to hear since I grew up going there.

Yeah, I'm still learning where to advertise, where to take stuff both for my art and for poultry. It is a whole lot of living and learning I seem to be doing as well. Have you been able to sell some of your iris? What colors do you have?

2. thndrdancr

thndrdancr Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Aha, I found my guide. Goodness I should have brought my roosters in for the silent auction. lol

I am hoping to go to Scribner but it is a bit of a drive.

I think the Sargent sale was last weekend, and West Point was on Sunday but the big Madison was this weekend. I didnt know they had one in Hickman, thats much closer to me, or I would have gone to that. Do you have any info on it at all? I guess too many at once, and it was SUCH a nice day I think a lot of folks opted to work at home outside. I know they have one up around Verdigre too but not sure on the whens of it. Lexington's I think was the end of March. I didnt know about the Saline until the week before, but saw it advertised heavily on CL.

One thing I noticed, the Palmyra one wasnt advertised at all, not even on Craigslist this year. I wasnt even sure when it was, until you mentioned it here. I did score a very cheap bs peacock, he will be gorgeous but I sold him back to my friend. I already have five boys and she only has one.

Let my pied out of his pen today along with his gal friend youngster. The gal is roosting in the pole barn with the other girls but my others boys chased the cock off, I hear him crying out there. The girls are fascinated, one peahen jumped down and headed off in his direction, hunting for him.

I told the dog over and over when I let him out, NO BIRDS, so I sure hope they are ok.

Another rooster went down with leg paralysis, so did my pea. Both within 4 days of each other and these guys range together in a very small area right now, as I am just letting them out, first timers.

So I am guessing botulism. I looked around and dont see what they might have gotten into. [​IMG] I am nursing them both, any ideas of getting them better faster. They look pretty miserable but not at deaths door. Just leg paralysis in one leg and diarhea and generally looking pretty unthrifty. This was on top of him getting tumbled by the dog and all that last weekend.

Never dealt with botulism before. [​IMG] And my foods must be low on B vitamins as my pea boys that were in the house (these same ones) trembled and shook until I started putting B vitamins in snacks to give them.

Oh on my Iris bulbs, did you see my CL ad? They are purple and white, very pretty but that is the only color I have. I had some gorgeous light blues but the purple/white crowded them out.

http://lincoln.craigslist.org/grd/2306217318.html

Thats an actual picture of my flowers from last year. I just love them.

3. TGB3RN

TGB3RN Out Of The Brooder

Sep 19, 2008
    Hello Fellow Huskers [​IMG]
    My name is Tom. I am from Grand Island but now I live in Chester....that little town South of York on hwy 81 just before you hit Kansas. It's me, 3 kiddos, about 45 Chickens and 4 turkeys.

I am glad this winter is OVER!! at least it better be.[​IMG]

4. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Hello Tom and Welcome!

What kind of turkeys do you have? I have some blue slate and White Holland in the bator right now but temps are messed up and I havent gotten out to get a new therm so I am hoping they hatch. Messed up every one of my goose eggs I had in there. [​IMG]

5. dwegz

dwegz Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2010
    Omaha, NE
    Just wanted to share my first hatch. Out of 14 eggs set, 2 were yolkers and the remaining 12 all hatched!!!! What are the odds.

Thndrdancr donated the eggs to the City Sprouts Community Garden at 40th and Franklin in North Omaha and I hatched them for the garden.
    Three silkies and the rest are BBS Orpingtons.

We are building a new chicken condo there and I will be sure to share the progress of that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    dwegz

6. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Denise,
    Those look fantastic! Good job on your first hatch. I bet you are breathing a sigh of relief eh? I was thinking the other day that maybe when you are ready for some of my Marans (or other breeds, I'm a hatching fool right now), I could come up and check out your community garden project up there? I love what you guys are doing!

Thndrdncr I might have to get some of those bbs orp eggs when I have more time to hatch. I am in full swing of things with some selective hatching and am hopping to keep up with those and my other projects as well. If you could PM me and let me know how much you charge or if you don't mind putting it here, I'd appreciate it. I budget myself in advance as much as possible when it comes to this crazy hobby!

7. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Welcome Tom! Good to see another Nebraskan. What breeds of chickens do you have out your way?
    And I cannot agree with you more about be glad winter is over! I'm outside as much as I possibly can be getting things done. Although I heard some nasty rumor that snow is possibly on friday. At least it is warm enough now that it will quickly dissapear if there is even any accumulation.

8. gilavina

Jan 25, 2011
    Southeast Nebraska
    Quote:Hey Jill,

I wish I had an answer for you about what's going on with your peacocks. I've never raised any myself, so I'm not too familiar with how to diagnose or treat them. I wish I did. Have you been able to find any help on the disease, etc forums? I would try there and see if maybe someone might have a good solution for you?

9. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    dwegz,
    Those look great! A lot of splashes, I love that. Also I do see a few with even slight feathering on their feet, so those are not the pure ones, so would be no good for showing or anything, ok? Its pretty easy to tell the crosses.

I need to just get all my orps together but they are so happy right now with their arrangements and I do freerange, so I will just let them be until they live out their lives. Anyhow, my cochin was my house pet for a long time so I will never get rid of her, she is such a pretty thing. I have two cochins and one barnyard special out of 11 hens.

Which means I get orps and cochin/orps and there is one lil hen that is a d'uccle mix, so like I said, if they have ANY foot feathering or muffs, then they are the mix. The mixes are cute too and mine are my most personable, my lil Christian follows me all the time wanting food, always in my face. She was the chick that I thought was dead, put under a broody and came back to life.

Gila, I sell my eggs for hatching pretty cheap for locals anyhow, since there are crossbreeds mixed with the pure. I am selling some tomorrow for $3 per dozen. The ones that are pure ARE pure but not the English lines as of yet. I am itching to get a few of those. So let me know when you want them, I can meet in Lincoln or whatever works for you. Now that I know my eggs are good and fertile I might start selling for a tad more, but not too much. So that at least would pay a bit for feed.

I threw my silkies in with my two sweetest hens, and they are beating the heck out of the poor silkies. [​IMG] Always something with these goofy birds.

Thanks, Gilavina for the peacock well wishes. I looked him over tonite, his keel bone is really sticking out and poo stuck to his rear bad. But, he stood up last night for first time in over a week! So Today I took him out and put him in the sun for the afternoon. He got picked on just a lil by an older male, but it probably was good for him as it made him hop up and limp slowly away from the male. So thus a bit of circulation. I am worried bout the poop. Took a warm rag and tried to wipe off, but its too massive, so I think the boy is in store for a bath tonite. I didnt see him poo at all, so I am worried he has huge case of pasty butt.
    His friend was SO happy to see him, it almost brought tears to my eyes. They laid down in the grass next to each other and the sick boy rested his head on the other guys back.

Got a lil work done today but am exhausted. Wished I had more energy. Let my new Welsh Harlequin ducks out that I bought Saturday last out for first time today. Wasnt sure I was going to be able to get them in their pen, as they are WILD lil things, but it went smoothly. Except Chompers and Juniorette are NOT happy about the new drakes. They have never had a drake around so they dont know whats happening, poor dears. And of course, the boys always want someone new.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2011
  10. thndrdancr

Mar 30, 2007
    Belleville, Kansas
    Well Mohawk, my yearling pea didnt get a complete bath, but I washed all the goo I could off his rear. He was SO patient, and this from the guy that normally kicks and tries to lay me open every time I pick him up.

He has gotten amazingly tame. He still has some yukky smelly crap stuck to his feathers, but he let me work on him for 20 minutes, then he said enuff and jumped out of the sink. [​IMG]

He didnt much care for the blow dryer either, so he is in the spot in the living room where his box used to be. He made 3 smelly black poos. Sis told me not to bathe him, might get him too upset, and I told her having a plugged hiney gets ya pretty upset too! She refused to help, the sissy! Other than finding me towel.

I gave him some cheese, a cup of water, and some scrambled egg. He is doing much much better. So mission accomplished, I think he will make it. As long as my dog doesnt bother him when I get him in tonite. Probably got botulism from some silly carcass bone the dog brought home. Which leads me to ask, why dont dogs seem to get botulism? One or two pecks could bring my birds down but that silly hound that I love, well I DO wish he would leave the dead things alone. I guess since I dont let him play with live things, he has to have an outlet somewhere.

And also neighbor can rightfuly say my dog got his duck. Said duck was going on 5 days dead and in a garbage bag, but he did "get the duck".

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by