Neck ring on Mallard

sjkenne

In the Brooder
Jul 30, 2018
Bucksport, ME
I've been reading various techniques for sexing mallard ducks at young ages (aside from vent sexing). There is very little mentioned about ducks younger than 8 weeks. Two of my 3 week old ducklings have formed a band on their neck. Is this an accurate indicator? If it was this obvious this early, wouldn't everyone say to look for this?
duckling.jpg

I've been reading various techniques for sexing mallard ducks at young ages (aside from vent sexing). There is very little mentioned about ducks younger than 8 weeks. Two of my 3 week old ducklings have formed a band on their neck. Is this an accurate indicator? If it was this obvious this early, wouldn't everyone say to look for this?View attachment 2159124
My Rouen (which is in the Mallard family) didn't develop one that early. Maybe male Mallards develop differently. I had a duck that was given to me (the husband said mallard and the wife said khaki campbell so Idk exactly what breed she is-maybe mixed). But she has a partial neck ring and I thought she was male at first. She is definitely a she. She hatched out a small clutch of eggs last year and the one that came from her egg was practically born with a partial neck ring. It will definitely be interesting to see what they turn out to be once their voices come in. Usually within the next couple of weeks.

Back
Top Bottom