Neck spasms

kuhnse51

Chirping
5 Years
Aug 19, 2014
I have noticed one of my hens doing this weird neck spasm. It seems like she is trying to adjust things in her crop or something, not sure, but it doesn't seem like she has control over it. She seems fine otherwise. Anyone have this happen before? What did you do?

Here's a video I found of someone's chicken doing the same thing:

It may be her adjusting the crop. Sometimes these movements can look like something neurological, though. Can you check her crop throughout the day, and again first thing in the morning before she eats. She could have impacted crop if it fells full and hard, and does not empty by morning.

It was an impacted crop. She had a large clump of something in there and she was shaking her neck to reposition her crop. I isolated her, gave her some olive oil with a dropper and gently massaged her crop for a couple weeks but this still did not break up the mass. It was a very hard feeling mass, I think it was something inedible that she tried to eat. She lost a lot of weight and her body condition was very poor. I eventually wound up forcing her to puke to empty her crop out a few days a week. At this point her crop had become pendulous. Nothing I seemed to do really helped the mass go away. I think making her puke did help her feel a little better though. I gave up doing anything for her and just let her go about her business. She is still alive and well today and just grew out a nice coat of feathers.I don't see her doing the neck thing as much and her crop isn't as squishy as it used to get but it still hangs kind of low. Hope your chicken is doing alright!

Back
Top Bottom