Necropsy(Goober)

You mean the crop? Chickens don't have a stomach. Have you looked at the inside of the intestines? The crop contents don't look right, did it smell bad? I'm wondering if there was a blockage lower down, or digestion slowed or stopped due to something there.
Nope that's not the crop. I looked at that, it was normal.

I thought they did. It was located behind the gizzard. It has the long brissly villa like that of a stomach.

The contents were funky like poop(Not talking about the crop).

You mean the crop? Chickens don't have a stomach. Have you looked at the inside of the intestines? The crop contents don't look right, did it smell bad? I'm wondering if there was a blockage lower down, or digestion slowed or stopped due to something there.
I haven't checked the intestines by cutting them. I observed them, they were all healthy up until I found that mass, then the intestines towards the rectum were off color.

Maybe that was a tumor, after the gizzard? The contents don't look normal for that high up in the digestive tract. The intestines look a little bloated to me also, so what they look like inside MAY hold a clue. If it was cancer, then liver issues often accompany that, and the fluid is often from the liver leaking fluid into the abdomen. The fluid is usually amber colored.

Maybe that was a tumor, after the gizzard? The contents don't look normal for that high up in the digestive tract. The intestines look a little bloated to me also, so what they look like inside MAY hold a clue. If it was cancer, then liver issues often accompany that, and the fluid is often from the liver leaking fluid into the abdomen. The fluid is usually amber colored.
The fluid was clear like water.

He was outside for a day, so there's gonna be abit of bloat.

I would've investigated further, but my hands started freezing, & my phone charge dropped to 53% in 30mins.

Last edited:
I understand. Whatever that was beyond the gizzard was certainly not normal. Cancer may be the cause. I've seen ascites fluid that was very pale yellow and some that was pretty dark amber, sometimes hard to tell if it's not in a clear container against a light background. Lots of fluid in the abdomen is usually liver issues, underlying causes that stressed the liver can vary. It did not look like fatty liver disease.

I understand. Whatever that was beyond the gizzard was certainly not normal. Cancer may be the cause. I've seen ascites fluid that was very pale yellow and some that was pretty dark amber, sometimes hard to tell if it's not in a clear container against a light background. Lots of fluid in the abdomen is usually liver issues, underlying causes that stressed the liver can vary. It did not look like fatty liver disease.
Yeah, I'm also thinking it's cancer.

There wasn't alot of fluid.

Yep, not fatty liver. I've had a couple hens with fatty liver last year. So, I'm cutting back the corn.

Back
Top Bottom