I agree with others to soak her bottom once or twice a day in warm Epsom salts, and when dry, apply plain Neosporin or Triple Antibiotic Ointment twice a day. It appears that she was injured by vent pecking which can occur after a prolapse, or when there is aggression during overcrowding, too little protein in the diet, or boredom. This may take some time to heal, and she could have some vent damage. I would increase the protein in your feed for a bit if you are feeding less than 20%. Here is an article on vent pecking and cannibalism:
https://articles.extension.org/page...nibalism-in-small-and-backyard-poultry-flocks

Thats what I would use.
I soaked her in an epsom salt bath, debrided as best I could, and put on neosporin. This is what it looked like before neosporin. Holding chicken upside down

Attachments

• 48B9FE86-F285-4A29-A31F-6E077664038A.jpeg
    48B9FE86-F285-4A29-A31F-6E077664038A.jpeg
    408.3 KB · Views: 16
Sometimes there can be maggot larvae that hatch in similar wounds, so be on the lookout. Sorry that your hen is having to go through this, but you are doing very good trying to help her. Debriding a wound is tough, but it helps to let the skin become softened in the soak for 20-30 minutes, and then rub with a cloth to get the black necrotic tissue off. It is actually good if it bleeds slightly—that means you are down to the healthy tissue with blood circulation.

Sometimes there can be maggot larvae that hatch in similar wounds, so be on the lookout. Sorry that your hen is having to go through this, but you are doing very good trying to help her. Debriding a wound is tough, but it helps to let the skin become softened in the soak for 20-30 minutes, and then rub with a cloth to get the black necrotic tissue off. It is actually good if it bleeds slightly—that means you are down to the healthy tissue with blood circulation.
Maggots would actually be a good thing as they eat away the rotted flesh and infection.

I did this yesterday. Got a little blood after debriding and noticed I got some of the tissue off. I put triple antibiotic on, the strongest I could find without pain relief. She is having difficulty pooping, it is more diarrhea than normal poop. She is eating and drinking water with acv normal however.

Back
Top Bottom