Need a better feeder

I am pleased to report the Harris Farm 7 lb feeder does seem to handle crumble better than my blue one.

The chickens do pick out the pebbly bits, so the dust does seem to “rise” to the surface if the food trough. But it doesn’t interfere with heavier pieces trickling out as much as the other feeder.

The chickens do pick out the pebbly bits, so the dust does seem to “rise” to the surface if the food trough. But it doesn’t interfere with heavier pieces trickling out as much as the other feeder.

Every couple weeks I run my feeders as empty as possible then dump all the fines they didn't eat into a pan to serve it as wet mash.

They think it's a treat. ;)

Every couple weeks I run my feeders as empty as possible then dump all the fines they didn't eat into a pan to serve it as wet mash.

They think it's a treat. ;)

I have a cheap plastic dishpan from the dollar store that works beautifully for this.
x2! The chickens get so excited when I feed them leftover pellet dust, and it uses it all up wonderfully.

I use a plastic shoebox to store it next to the feed bin in the garage and the wet feed gets spread out in the run in cat bowls and such.

It is so weird to me that turning their normal dry food into a wet goop makes it a treat. I guess there’s no accounting for taste.
Why is most cereal tastier in a bowl with milk? I dunno. :)

I'm just happy that chickens will eat it up because it's a great way to use up "waste" and even to sneak in some additives when needed, like oyster shell for my birds that need the extra boost.

I have a round gravity feeder suited for 25 birds (according to the advertising propaganda). It has three legs that raise it 2-3 inches off the ground. And the crumble doesn’t go through it well enough to keep the bin full.

I was out three times today and had to shake feed down to get where the featherheads could reach it. It wasn’t obvious when they were smaller as they didn’t eat as much. It wasn’t obvious before now because they’ve been able to graze their yard and seem to prefer that.

But two days of bad weather keeping everyone inside is what caused me to realize it. So! Long story short (too late!), what are better options than this doo-hickey for feeding crumble?

View attachment 2865208
i use hog feeders..they hold about 200 lbs

Back
Top Bottom