NEED a Buttermilk Biscuit Recipe

Quote:
The whole reason I was looking for the recipe is I made butter, and I saved the buttermilk just for making some biscuits.
smile.png
So I have a couple jars waiting on me... and I'm using the butter to put on the biscuits that I am making with the blackberry jam I made! Talk about OLD Skool!
lol.png

Oh, as for the lard issue... I don't eat any pork or beef products... including fat
roll.png
Sorry, just part of my diet. I'll use shortening I guess.

LOL
lol.png
Sorry... I can't support the living conditions for most of the animals we eat... and I stopped eating beef and pork when I was 15 (I'm 31 now). I stopped chicken too, but I missed it... and now I raise my own so it feels much better now.
big_smile.png

Mu husband and kid still eat red meat though... that's just fine, I still cook it for them... but me, until we get rid of poorly kept facilities for our food animals, I'm not interested. I kinda have a respect for the fact these guys are going on our plates and we should be grateful. Eating has become too easy if you know what I mean.

Oh I know, that was just an aside for anyone making them. I started making butter a few months ago and love the buttermilk afterwards (not to mention the strong arms you get:)

You have a valid point there vfem and I respect that, I was just raking you over the coals a little.
smile.png

Our dinner last night was 100% homemade. Smoked turkey breast fillet and a huge salad fresh from the garden. Those veggies didn't stand a chance. lol

Steve

Today I bought some of the Southern Biscuit "Formula L Complete Biscuit Mix" that HenThymes mentioned on page 1 of this thread. On the bag it says "Restaurant-style" so maybe they make this mix for food service companies? I don't know and I don't care, 'cause this mix makes the lightest biscuits I have ever had! They are very yummy, not a bit greasy, no "off" flavors, and go great with jam. Thank you, HenThymes, for telling us about this mix. I may try the recipe for pancakes on the bag....if it will ever cool down a little so a person could enjoy hot pancakes.

Quote:
I am very glad that you like it cuz it's just YUMMY!!!
love.gif
I don't think I could ever go back. I have never tried the pancake recipe, let me know how they turn out if you make them. I can't see them being anything but good.
big_smile.png

I agree, just about anything would be good from this mix! I like that I can make just a few biscuits for one person (plus the doggie - he loves them too!) at a time. This morning I made them again and just dumped some of the mix in a bowl, stirred in some buttermilk, and put drop biscuits on a parchment lined pizza pan that fits in my toaster oven. Baked at 450 for about 12-15 minutes they were completely done and great with my egg and sausage patty.

I also bought some of the Southern Biscuit self-rising flour and their Tenda-Bake cornmeal mix. My beloved White Lily S-R flour is gone as is my Three Rivers cornmeal mix, R.I.P., so I'm hoping the MidState Mills products will become my staples for the corn muffins and quick breads I'm making for the farmers' market. I like that the MidState company is local to my state and has a long established history since the early 1900s.

You know I am going to try to get that mix next time I goto walmart!!!
wink.png
I see the brand has advertisements in the Mother Earth News Magazine like every month! Looks like fabulous stuff.
big_smile.png

Back
Top Bottom