Need a diuretic for my Brahma hen

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by azygous, Feb 9, 2012.

1. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Nancy, my four year old Light Brahma, has a big problem with a water-ballooning tummy. It's not fat since her breast bone has almost no meat on it.

This has been coming on for a year and it's getting so bad, she can't even hop up onto the pop-hole stoop, let along get onto the roosting perch. Some days all she does is mope in a corner with her head hunched into her shoulders. Also, the ballooning has protruded to the extent her poop gets hung up on her butt feathers, and I regularly need to detach the hitch-hiking clumps.

I tried giving her dandelion root, and I think it may have helped a tiny bit. At least it seemed to perk her up. Does anyone know of anything better to try? Something I might find at a health food store? I want to avoid harsh drugs. But if anyone knows of a drug that would be safe for a frail hen, I can probably ask my vet for it.

Any help will be very appreciated.

2. Chicken_Pauper

Chicken_Pauper Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2011
    Southern California
    For "us", women... people... B-6 is a diuretic. There are "weight control" products, tablets (crushable) described as:
    Kelp-Lecithin, B-6 & Cider Vinegar - but, with all its claims it is more of a diuretic than anything else.

Have you searched for Acites here on BYC?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/617171/chicken-with-swollen-abdomen-how-do-i-help-her

Quote:

Here is the best price I found on the supplement:
    http://www.swansonvitamins.com/SWD019/ItemDetail

Best of luck.... hope something here is a help...

Last edited: Feb 9, 2012
  3. azygous

azygous True BYC Addict

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Thank you for this info. Yes, I've searched Acites, and that's how I came to ask about diuretics. I doubt it's egg problems or she'd have died long ago from it. She's been getting fatter for a long time. I've worried about fatty liver with her since she's been such a constant fan of the feeder. Her feet are a real, real deep yellow color. I suspect it's to do with her liver.

I don't think I'll risk trying to stick a needle in her. I just want to make her last weeks (or days) as comfortable as possible.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by