Need A Hatch Buddy.. Anyone Setting Today 2/26?

Quote:
Stan, make sure your hygrometer is calibrated and correct. You shouldnt be running that high; our humidity now is pretty low.

Weather Report | Interactive Weather Map | Extended Forecast | Hourly Forecast | Past Observations | Historic Averages | Related

Obs SummarySurface AnalysisInfrared SatelliteCurrent RadarForecast RadarRegional RadarMetro Radar Current Conditions - °F | °C As of 5:53 PM on Sunday 27 Feb 2011 (Local Time) from KSRQ Reporting Station Clear 73°F
Feels Like: 73°
Wind Chill: 73° Ceiling: Unl
Heat Index: 73° Visibility: 10mi
Dew Point: 62° Wind: 8mph
Humidity: 68% Direction: 200° (SSW)
Pressure: 30.05" Gusts: NA
Report Text: KSRQ 272253Z AUTO 20007KT 10SM CLR 23/17 A3005 RMK AO2 SLP173 T02280167 TSNO

Intellicast this afternoon - humidity 68% - ..........stan

I fired up the bator yesterday and set eggs this morning. most of the eggs are silkies and showgirls. just got back from the coop and am warming up a couple more to sneak in.

15886_my_chickens_723.jpg

this photo is from last year. I gave this blue silkie eggs a week ago. candled yesterday and saw some swimmers.

Quote:
good luck this is only my second time setting eggs and was not planning on setting 50. Went to a friends to visit and ended up buying some eggs from here the other day. I told her I was not ready but did it anyway. what are friends for LOL.

I have them in a LG still air at 99.5 and I cover the top with a towel. Just heard the sunlight on them while in bator is not good and do not have a spare closet to put them in. Well I could use my craft room closet but it has my craft stuff in it and the room is a mess thanks to DH for putting crap in there that does not belong LOL

keeping fingers crossed for you.

deana

I put a towel over the curtain rod or closed the curtains. I ran 3 bators for 5 months last year. kept the towel over the window and had no tep spikes in any bator.

I can't seem to get my humidity to stay put. I wanted to keep it from 45% to 50%, but for some reason it is ranging from 42% to 50%. It is mostly staying between 44% and 46%, but has gone as high as 50% and as low as 42% today. Would this be a problem?

Quote:
were you able to get the temp down? it will probably be ok because it is day one. it kind of depends on how long the temp was that high. good luck.

The temp went down right away and is hanging around 100-102 - light bulb on opposite side of bator to the eggs, thermo is in middle. How long is too long??? Thanks for responding!! Also, rotated the eggs in rows closest to bulb with back row and put very small drop of H2O from inside bator on each egg.

Last edited:
Quote:
you can cover part of the water tray with alumium foil. if you decrease the surface area of the water, you will decrease the humidity. remove the foil when you want the humidity high for the hatch. I dry hatch. I add water when the humidity reaches 25%. I raise it to 30%. when the humidity is extra high ( august in NH). I will run the bator without water. if the humidity in the air lowers, then I add water. I have had many 90 to 100% hatches doing this. somewhere on byc is a great thread on dry hatching. that is where I learned this technique originally.

Set my Shipped Standard Cochin Frizzle Eggs 2/26. All have busted air cells from my crappy P.O . I have heard that you dont count day 1 until the eggs have been in the Bator for 24 hours. That means they are actually due 22 days from the very minute you put them in your incubator? No wonder mine are always a day late! Opps.

Back
Top Bottom