Need a nut for the back of a waterer cup!!!!!!

moore6405

In the Brooder
May 30, 2017
Hey guys, I need some help here. I bought a pack of the chicken waterer cups and they did not come with a nut or washer to go on the back side. I use them in a 5 gallon bucket and like to be able to secure them from the inside of the bucket with a nut and washer, but these did not come with any. Does anyone know what I can use? I have been looking for something that would work and I cant find anything with the same thread size.

It sure would be helpful if these devices came with a nut, but they don't. Instead, you need to be as precise as possible in drilling the hole, making it just a hair smaller than the device threads.

Just before you screw in the device, run a thin thread of silicone sealer around the hole on the outside of the water container, and this will help seal the device against leakage.

Another tip is to select a container that is flat sided and not round. You get a far better and longer lasting seal when sealing it to a flat surface.

Another tip is to select a container that is flat sided and not round. You get a far better and longer lasting seal when sealing it to a flat surface.
I replaced my horizontal cup nipples with regular horizontal nipples on a Flock Party waterer, which has flat sides. The cups didn't have nuts on the back , but they did have tiny silicone washer like thingies that went between the outside of the waterer and the nipple threads. That made the seal water tight. I mention this in case those are easier to find than silicone sealer.

You can tell I don't know beans about plumbing by my terminology!

We drilled a hole slightly smaller than the item. Got out the trusty heat gun and softened the bucket side around the hole a bit. Then put in the waterer nipple. When cool, perfectly secure, no leaks. No need for caulk. Good luck.

Hey guys, I need some help here. I bought a pack of the chicken waterer cups and they did not come with a nut or washer to go on the back side. I use them in a 5 gallon bucket and like to be able to secure them from the inside of the bucket with a nut and washer, but these did not come with any. Does anyone know what I can use? I have been looking for something that would work and I cant find anything with the same thread size.
Show us the cups @moore6405
Most are supposed to self-thread into a precisely drilled hole rather than using a nut and washer.

Thread the hole with a 1/8" pipe tap. Do not go so deep you lose the taper. Seat the threads with a dab of Permatex #2 gasket compound. Get the correct size drill bit. It should be on the tap chart.

Back
Top Bottom