Need advice. All IS WELL NOW BIRD IS ALL BETTER

michael1003

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 29, 2014
I added 4 5 week old chicks in with my 7-8 week old chicks. 2 bard rocks and 2 Buff Orpington. They seemed to be geting on fine. When i went out to check on they around 12 am the old ones were rosting and the the 2 bard rocks and one Buff Orpington were under the heat lamp by the roost and the other Buff Orpington was off in the corner by its self. Looks like they decided to bullie her. So i took her out and brought her inside. She is missing feathers on verious spots on her from the pecking. Went out around 7 today and teh other 3 were eating and roosting witht the older chicks and as of now the three are doing great with the older chicks. The concern i have is the one i brought in last night seems to not want to eat much or drink. She is not vocal like before and is not up and moving like the others are. Is this just due to the stress of the pecking and being cold till i found her? And what can i do to help her recover faster from this?

Well she does not show signs of that. Not acting cold or fluffed up under heat lamp, no bloody stool. They also are eating medicated feed.

I would "cull" the sickly chick, quick.
Perhaps you can quarantine her in your garage where she won't have access to soil. Don't touch her, and make the area big enough so you will not have to clean it until you are sure she doesn't have anything.

For the good of your healthy birds, I would get rid of the sick bird PDQ.

But I know how the heart can be and when that little birdy looks at you it can be hard to do harsh things.

Just remember to disinfect EVERYTHING that bird has touched.
This means you will have to clean the coop with bleach (1:10 bleach to water) and either burn the bedding or bag it and get it in your trash cans ready for pickup.
This way if this bird is sick, it will not infect your other birds as well.

Coccidiosis and mareks disease play for keeps...

Sorry to be so harsh, but you don't need to get sick as well.

~Mary

Well when i got home she is up moving around and seems to be doing lots better. So i think she was stressed out from the beat down from the other birds. She is eatinf and drinking normal. All other birds are doing well ill give her a week and will reintoduce. And all poop is normal.

I think she must be back at 100%. I gave her a bath last night because her feathers were all nasty from the fight. And after the bath she was almost back to her old self. And when i woke up today she was trying to fly out of the temp home i made for her in the house. She was eating like mad and talking like crazy. Man that was a stresfull last 48 hours but we are all good now! Thanks every one for the advice glad you were all wrong. Would have been sad to see her go.

Back
Top Bottom