Need advice for my sick chick

Savy

In the Brooder
7 Years
Jan 22, 2013
Colorado
My sweetest baby chicken Little Hawk has been diagnosed with coccidia and a bacterial infection. She isn't even a year old yet. The vet put her on albon liquid to treat the coccidia and batril suspention for the bacterial infection. She is not eating well, and has stopped drinking! I have been giving her water, but I'm worried she isn't getting enough. Her poop is not bloody any more, but now it's green and she is pooping out the wax worms I've been feeding her completely undigested. She doesn't even have the strength to hold herself up and just lays on her side. She has been loosing weight, so I've been feeding her meal worms, wax worms, and fresh corn, but she isn't eating much, I think she only eats when I hold her up and feed her by hand. I'll be contacting the vet in the morning, but any advice in the mean time? Many thanks! <3

I'm also wondering if I should start my other chickens on Corid just in case to prevent an outbreak, although they aren't showing any signs of coccidia. If I do give them Corid, will I ever be able to eat their eggs again?

I would highly suggest ditching all the worms and corn and give her chick starter or her layer feed, depending on her age. Even if you have to grind it down and make a mush out of it to feed her. Or give some chopped hard boiled egg. Is she getting grit as well?

X2 on the fluids, amazing how much it helps them.

There is no egg withdrawal for Corid. All it is is Amprolium which is a thiamin blocker. Cocci need thiamin to survive. Some people discard the eggs from Corid treated hens for a few days after treatment but it is really not necessary.

Thank you for your advice! For some reason she won't eat her normal feed. She just turns her nose up to it. I will try the chopped hard boiled egg. Thank you!

Also, you might try the Exact Formula for birds you can get Petco or Petsmart.
And you can tube feed her with the Exact formula.
It will give her the nutrition she needs to get out of the woods.
When you tube feed she will get a good amount of food for her to recover.

The situation seems to have worsened. She is bobbing her head in a repetitive motion and slowly opening and closing her beak. Her eyes are usually closed and she seems less aware of her surroundings. She eats if I hold food right in front of her face, and sometimes even on her own. She hasn't been able to walk or even hold herself up. Her weight is down and the vet believes this may be why she can't hold herself up. I've been feed her peas and fruit on top her regular feed in hopes that she will put some weight on. Any ideas what this could be? The vet seems pretty stumped.
sad.png

I haven't seen her drinking so I am not sure. I have been squirting water in her mouth whenever I get a chance.

Back
Top Bottom