Need advice for re-homing domestic ducks in California (Bay Area)

Dennis vH

In the Brooder
May 24, 2022
Hi everyone!

I'm posting here in the hope of getting some suggestions and directions for finding a new home for the abandoned domestic ducks at the pond in our neighborhood park.

Sadly, people have dumped several domestic ducks (Pekin, Muscovy, Swedish, crested ducks, and a few mixed breeds) among the wild mallards and Canada geese. We go to visit and feed those domestic ducks regularly, as they really cannot take care of themselves. Unfortunately, one got killed by a car last month, and a few nights ago, two others were killed by a predator. We are afraid that all of them will end up with the same fate sooner or later.

We feel very sorry for them being dumped there without any survival skills, and have grown very fond of their individual and lovable personalities. We live in the California East Bay (between Oakland and San Jose), and have reached out to many local (and further away) organizations, farms, shelters and centers, asking if they are able to take them in and give them a safe home. So far, no luck; they are either at max capacity, or do not accept waterfowl from outside their county.

We are really at the end of our options and sincerely hope to find a safe and pleasant new home for these adorable creatures.

Looking forward to hearing some good suggestions from this great community here!

I recommend you also post on Craigslist, and nextdoor. But please specify that they are for pets only and do a home visit. Otherwise you could get people looking to take them and eat them. You might consider asking people to donate money to an animal rescue organization of their choosing, instead of paying for the ducks, worth more than the ducks' meat would be.

Sometimes I can find ducks or poultry on Petfinder, maybe you can too, and you can contact the organization and see if they can take them.

Thanks for helping the ducks!!

I recommend you also post on Craigslist, and nextdoor. But please specify that they are for pets only and do a home visit. Otherwise you could get people looking to take them and eat them. You might consider asking people to donate money to an animal rescue organization of their choosing, instead of paying for the ducks, worth more than the ducks' meat would be.

Sometimes I can find ducks or poultry on Petfinder, maybe you can too, and you can contact the organization and see if they can take them.

This ^^
Post on your state thread as well.

I also want to give you a huge pat not the back, fantastic job looking out for these helpless babies. In the mean time, maybe you could put out a couple dog crates with straw in them for the ducks? This might give them something to hide in from predators. They're typically pretty cheep on FB MarketPlace. Just post a sign on the crate saying what they are for? The ducks may not use them, but maybe they would.

Or better yet, do you have a poultry rescue in your area? Maybe you could catch them and take them there, or keep them temporarily until you find them homes?

I didn’t know until a couple of years ago we had a farm rescue when someone dumped a rooster off at our church. Of course they were full so I ended up bringing him home I and found a home for him. So check for farm animal rescues too.

This ^^
Post on your state thread as well.

I also want to give you a huge pat not the back, fantastic job looking out for these helpless babies. In the mean time, maybe you could put out a couple dog crates with straw in them for the ducks? This might give them something to hide in from predators. They're typically pretty cheep on FB MarketPlace. Just post a sign on the crate saying what they are for? The ducks may not use them, but maybe they would.

Or better yet, do you have a poultry rescue in your area? Maybe you could catch them and take them there, or keep them temporarily until you find them homes?
Thank you for the kind words and all the great suggestions!
These are definitely things to consider. :)
We do have a rescue center that accepts waterfowl in a nearby city, but they are full too, and also only allow city residents (you have to sow your ID).

I was a little skeptical about Craigslist, but had not considered Nextdoor. Great suggestion!
And I will definitely double and triple check anyone who says they are willing to take them in. Too many shady people out there, who just want a free meal... :(

I was a little skeptical about Craigslist, but had not considered Nextdoor. Great suggestion!
And I will definitely double and triple check anyone who says they are willing to take them in. Too many shady people out there, who just want a free meal... :(
Look for any local poultry FB groups too. You're not allowed to post animals on Marketplace, but theres lots of people that rehome and sell birds on poultry pages. I'm sure you'll find some people that will take a few. People post about disabled chicks that need homes sometimes on the one I follow, and it seems like people adopt them pretty quickly.

Back
Top Bottom