Need advice for re-homing domestic ducks in California (Bay Area)

Look for any local poultry FB groups too. You're not allowed to post animals on Marketplace, but theres lots of people that rehome and sell birds on poultry pages. I'm sure you'll find some people that will take a few. People post about disabled chicks that need homes sometimes on the one I follow, and it seems like people adopt them pretty quickly.
Thank you for the suggestion! :)

I was a little skeptical about Craigslist, but had not considered Nextdoor. Great suggestion!
And I will definitely double and triple check anyone who says they are willing to take them in. Too many shady people out there, who just want a free meal... :(
I completely understand your hesitation about CL. You might not want to rule it out entirely. I got 3 rescue ducks from Craigslist, who had been abandoned on a pond. They had some health issues and I had to get a second job to take them to the vet and pay for surgeries, ECT. I've devoted myself to them, I built them a huge aviary to keep them safe from predators, I take them on daily foraging walks, and adore them. I'm very proud of the life I have given them.

But I agree that you need to be careful. The person who gave them to me visited my home and property twice and had strict criteria that I needed to meet. She didn't charge me, but I think it's a good idea to ask for the person to donate to a rescue organization. Or put money down at an avian vet that will go to the ducks' future medical expenses.

Just something to consider. 💖

I completely understand your hesitation about CL. You might not want to rule it out entirely. I got 3 rescue ducks from Craigslist, who had been abandoned on a pond. They had some health issues and I had to get a second job to take them to the vet and pay for surgeries, ECT. I've devoted myself to them, I built them a huge aviary to keep them safe from predators, I take them on daily foraging walks, and adore them. I'm very proud of the life I have given them.
This is incredibly heart warming. What an amazing duck owner you are. Your ducks are so lucky. :hugs:hugs💕

But I agree that you need to be careful. The person who gave them to me visited my home and property twice and had strict criteria that I needed to meet. She didn't charge me, but I think it's a good idea to ask for the person to donate to a rescue organization. Or put money down at an avian vet that will go to the ducks' future medical expenses.

Just something to consider. 💖
Thank you for the suggestion of reconsidering Craigslist; I'll check it out, keeping your caution in mind and the idea of actually charging a bit more than what they would be worth in poulterer.
It looks like you have created a paradise for your ducks! Please let me know if you are willing to take in a few more. :)

Hi everyone!

I'm posting here in the hope of getting some suggestions and directions for finding a new home for the abandoned domestic ducks at the pond in our neighborhood park.

Sadly, people have dumped several domestic ducks (Pekin, Muscovy, Swedish, crested ducks, and a few mixed breeds) among the wild mallards and Canada geese. We go to visit and feed those domestic ducks regularly, as they really cannot take care of themselves. Unfortunately, one got killed by a car last month, and a few nights ago, two others were killed by a predator. We are afraid that all of them will end up with the same fate sooner or later.

We feel very sorry for them being dumped there without any survival skills, and have grown very fond of their individual and lovable personalities. We live in the California East Bay (between Oakland and San Jose), and have reached out to many local (and further away) organizations, farms, shelters and centers, asking if they are able to take them in and give them a safe home. So far, no luck; they are either at max capacity, or do not accept waterfowl from outside their county.

We are really at the end of our options and sincerely hope to find a safe and pleasant new home for these adorable creatures.

Looking forward to hearing some good suggestions from this great community here!
Hello, would this water area happen to be near Oakland Airport?

Back
Top Bottom