Need advice on a rooster with no legs

Pics
Thank you all for the helpful advice. I made a sling for him, which he used for about 20 minutes before he decided that it was enough and let out a grumpy bawk and somersaulted out of it. I caught him before he could hurt himself and set him down on the floor. He took off running and flapping to a towel I had on the floor. I'll try to redesign it so he can't do that again and slowly try to get him used to it.
View attachment 1722301
He gets daily visits from the two chicks that in the house brooder. During today's visit he decided that the towel they were on wasn't good enough and tried to fly to the couch. I helped him up and he preened and took a nap.
View attachment 1722303
Everyday he seems stronger and harder to keep immobilized.

Seems like he's getting around just fine on his "stumps", hopefully they're healed well. He maybe ok with some sort of padding of his stumps? Perhaps instead of the sling, a cushy bed with food/water close by? Sounds like he's adjusting just fine becoming a "house chicken". Dang, he's so handsome ... Love his coloring,

The things we do for our chickens. This whole thread cracked me up. If you have the time and inclination to care for this guy, I'd say do it. Even fashion some peg legs, it's been done before, you could likely go online and research others that have fashioned bird peg legs. As long as he is comfortable and happy, really, that is all a bird can hope for right? I would just be careful to ensure he is happy and pain free.

The things we do for our chickens. This whole thread cracked me up. If you have the time and inclination to care for this guy, I'd say do it. Even fashion some peg legs, it's been done before, you could likely go online and research others that have fashioned bird peg legs. As long as he is comfortable and happy, really, that is all a bird can hope for right? I would just be careful to ensure he is happy and pain free.

Here here I second this. Well said

I really, really wouldn't suggest leaving him with just the stumps. At least put some padding over the bases. Otherwise, he's putting pressure on the ends of bones that aren't meant to take it like that, and putting pressure on the thin layer of flesh between the bone and the ground. Chickens hide pain well, they're prey animals. Normal behavior means they aren't in crippling pain, it doesn't mean they aren't in pain at all, so the best we can do is take reasonable measures to prevent pain. Protecting the ends of the stumps is definitely reasonable.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom