Need advice on ADD/ADHD

newchickenfamily - I will add that my 2 yo with autism has reactions to sugars, he is about a year behind developmentally. He still rarely calls me by name, only when he wants out of his crib. What I am getting at is sometimes children have reactions to certain foods which affect them. If you ask about good books with lots of info on that site I recommended you should get a good list, somewhere to start. Some people will talk about a GFCF free diet, my sons behavioral psychologist says there is not enough info either way to support it, but if you watch your child's behaviors after eating/drinking certain things you can try to figure if your child has sensitivities. They can also do a blood test to check for food allergies.
My 10 yo drinks diet cola(I hate artificial sweeteners) because the caffeine has a calming effect, but it has to be diet cuz the sugars are counterproductive

Krista

I am ADD, but was not dx'd until adulthood so I'm pretty sure it's different. I do not take meds either. I am a lot like the previous post with the husband ..not quite as forgetful, maybe ....but definitely hyperfocus on my artwork (compared to his fishing) ...and use it to my advantage.

Good luck finding what works for your son and the rest of the family. I am fortunate to have a very patient DH
wink.png

I have had ADD problems with my eldest (will be entering 4rth grade).

I really liked these two books, they helped me to think like he does.
smile.png

How to Get Your Child Off the Refrigerator and on to Learning (Paperback)
by Carol Barnier

and

If I'm Diapering a Watermelon, Then Where'd I Leave the Baby?: Help for the Highly Distractible Mom (Paperback)
by Carol Barnier

They are super fast reads, so maybe you can find them at your local library.

Also, her website is

http://www.sizzlebop.com/index.htm

I really like they way she looks at ADD, very up beat. It is all about finding the correct 'key'.

Good luck.

* I take B-1 before bed, it usually helps me wake up much more clear-headed and focused. Also just saw a story on twin boys once on Ritalin, now taking L-theanine, which comes from green tea. They are having good results with it. Haven't tried it yet, but I have green tea for breakfast most days. Explains why I like it, I guess.

Two of my children have ADD/ADHD and we found a diet that eliminates artificial colors, flavors, certain preservatives and some fruits for a time. We have had amazing results with this program. They have a very helpful message board. They research brand name products for you. You get a grocery product guide that tells you what products are free of these additives and keep you updated on product changes and much more. One of the smartest things I have done in my life. The difference in my children is like night and day. They can sit still, no tantrums, and can focus on school work. It is a non profit organization but you pay for materials. It is about the cost of a doctor visit. (and more helpful)

www.feingold.org

My Daughter was also ADD and and i tried the meds for one marking period in her 6th grade year. It was the only year that she EVER made honor roll. HOWEVER......her teacher said it was very disturbing to her that Amy was like a zombie and had no personality and never smiled. I decided i would rather see her off the meds and not on the honor roll. I believe we all react differently to meds and that was just our experience. I think if you ever decide to try it, just work with the teachers to decide quickly if they are right for her or not.
If you are not comfortable with it, trust your gut feelings
smile.png

it took 2 years to get my son diagnosed as ADHD because his Dr wouldnt do it before age 5. I wish he wouldnt have waited because at that point he was 2 1/2 years behind in all areas including speach. He also has a mild retardation but the ADHD and that go around in circles each stunting progress in the other. He has been medicated since age 5, I believe everyone should make their own decision but everyone cant believe his progress since medicating. It calms him enough to be able to learn with extra help. In less than one year he went from only drawing lines and circles to writing his name. He is still spirited on his meds maybe im just happy with that or maybe its only some meds that make them zombies, I dont know, but this works for us, he takes Adderall XR. I find alot of info on line but not on one site, just search for all you can find. We also have behavioral support daily for him that I had to set up, the school was no help didnt think he needed it now wont do without it. He also attends a special kindergarten in another school district.

Last edited:
I knew, of course, that I came to the right spot for words of advice and encouragement!! THANK YOU!!

I'm just beginning to explore nutritional changes that may be helpful. Trying to gather as much info as possible. I think that would be a good thing.

My husband and I are not totally against meds, but it's a scary decision to make. Our regular pediatrician is in favor of meds, but our pediatric psychiatrist does not recommend it. I think we'll see how things go and go with our gut feelings.

She will be starting her second year of Kindergarten at the end of the month. We put her in last year, knowing that she wasn't ready, but the school district wouldn't help her if she wasn't an enrolled student. So, we figured the 1st year of K would be the "practice" year while we battled (and ultimately "won") with the school district for help. Now, with the "real" K year beginning, we will be working closely with her teacher who is already aware of DD's challenges and her personality.

Thank the Lord in heaven that she is the sweetest and most loveable little girl, I think that is her coping strategy. Everyone at the school loves her and her sweet personality. We are, however, working on behavior issues at home. She has a hard time controlling her emotions, whether they be happy or angry!

Anyway, I will be exploring all of your suggestions and web links and book ideas! Thank you to those that offered your personal support through PM's, I may take you up on that!!

You guys are great!
love.gif

A couple folks on this thread already mentioned it and I just want to second it. Nutrition is very important. Sugar, additives, processed foods, and perservatives are the enemy. Our bodies deal with these toxins in different ways, and I believe, they are considerably dangerous to children. My hubby and I even try not to use microwaves because we believe the healthy nutrients in food are changed in some way during the microwaving process.

It's hard in this modern day of convenience to put a lot of effort in meals but it is the best gift you could ever give to your family.

Im in no way saying you don't already do this. There are other factors they say could cause development disorders including family genes. But I do know that a healthy, all-natural diet has worked miracles for children with autism, add and many other development disorders.

Jenny McCarthy's story is encredible. She wrote a book but I'm sure you could google it and get a lot of info. Good Luck. You're a very caring and involved parent and your dd is very fortunate to have you:)

Back
Top Bottom