Need advice on heat

I have baby chicks arriving soon. I bought them a safe to touch heating pad that stands up. However, it doesnt heat up the coop even to ONE degree warmer at all! So I'm having to install a heat lamp but I'm unsure if it's too close to the bedding. What should I do? That's the heating pad on the wall in the back. View attachment 2365013
I'm assuming you bought a brooder plate.
As mentioned, they are not designed to heat the coop, just the chicks.
What is the size of the plate and how many chicks are coming?
I've used a 12"x12" brooder plate with a towel thrown over the top, sides and back to make a cave and raised 15 chicks under it in my built-in brooder in the coop when temps dipped to 23F.

Since this i my first time raising chickens I’m far from an expert but i was advised to wait till they were fully feathered before putting them outside so i kept them inside in a brooder till they were probably 5 weeks old....maybe i got bad info
Crossed wires is more like it.
Chicks are regularly raised outside from day one. They need supplemental heat until fully feathered, either artificial or via a broody hen.

I'm assuming you bought a brooder plate.
As mentioned, they are not designed to heat the coop, just the chicks.
What is the size of the plate and how many chicks are coming?
I've used a 12"x12" brooder plate with a towel thrown over the top, sides and back to make a cave and raised 15 chicks under it in my built-in brooder in the coop when temps dipped to 23F.
20201008_161812.jpg
20201008_161822.jpg

I have baby chicks arriving soon. I bought them a safe to touch heating pad that stands up. However, it doesnt heat up the coop even to ONE degree warmer at all! So I'm having to install a heat lamp but I'm unsure if it's too close to the bedding. What should I do? That's the heating pad on the wall in the back. View attachment 2365013
Look I am not trying to bash anyone here only trying to help.
Please rethink your setup for a heat lamp.
#1 your heat lamp should not be resting up against a wood wall.
#2 I don’t really like the idea of a single staple holding the lamp. Add a secondary attachment maybe a wire up to a rafter in case one lets go. You only have one chance with a heat lamp.
F1E86E96-C9EC-4E69-AEF0-6D3A29BD7DC0.jpeg

Look I am not trying to bash anyone here only trying to help.
Please rethink your setup for a heat lamp.
#1 your heat lamp should not be resting up against a wood wall.
#2 I don’t really like the idea of a single staple holding the lamp. Add a secondary attachment maybe a wire up to a rafter in case one lets go. You only have one chance with a heat lamp.
View attachment 2365289

That's why I posted my question here, for advice. You're not bashing me at all. I did remove the heat lamp and bought another heating pad. Seems to be working well, the temperature is perfect.
20201008_184105.jpg

That’s the biggest egg I have ever seen a chick lay:eek:.
Just remember you don’t need to heat the whole space. See the chick leaning up against it? When they need to warm up that’s what they will do. All they need is a warm place to go to or up against. Not sure if you can but if you could lean it like shown by the red line that will give them some more contact area. Again you don’t need to heat the whole space. 7469A92E-9FE0-4875-A305-715FE50714A4.jpeg
FYI I have the same heater and it works great 👍

Baby chicks are supposed to stay warm (90's if I recall) slowly reducing temp over the next few weeks. I kept mine inside, in tubs, with heat lamps. My mind was saying "that's too warm" but the little chicks would hang out right under the lamp. I'd think what you have there might work, if you can keep it from getting drafty. Just check their behavior. If they are huddled in a pile, they're trying to get warm. In your case, if they get too warm (not likely), there's lots of space to roam. I'm no pro, so somebody correct me if I'm wrong and I'll pull this post.

Since this i my first time raising chickens I’m far from an expert but i was advised to wait till they were fully feathered before putting them outside so i kept them inside in a brooder till they were probably 5 weeks old....maybe i got bad info
That’s a good practice if you can keep them that long. It all depends on what the outside world will be like for them. In a secure area where they have enough warmth and freedom from drafts they may be okay but if they are very young they could get in trouble quickly. I leave mine inside until two weeks. This is the time to observe them closely. When they are inside I can hear a chick in distress and make sure all of them are eating and drinking. At two weeks they are more active and want a larger area to explore and my inside brooders aren’t enough for them.

Back
Top Bottom