Need advice on one of my chickens

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Narrex, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Narrex

Narrex New Egg

Oct 12, 2016
    Hi there,
    I have eight chickens 4 of which are of age and have been laying 5 - 6 eggs/week per chicken. About a week and a half ago I found my 4 Yr old son in the pen swatting them with a stick. I checked them over with no signs of visual injury. All four stopped laying for 3 - 4 days and now 3 of them are at 3-4/week but 1 of them (the most social) has not laid since that day. We have not let my son be near the pen and have gifted them with goody's of veggies and maggots but the 1 (Roxy a barred rock) has still not laid. She was less social for awhile but is now back to her old self eating from my hand. Is there anything else I can do? Thanks

2. Wyatt0224

Wyatt0224 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2016
    Westminster, Maryland
    She might still be stressed out. From my understanding if there was an injury internally involving eggs she would've died by now. At most give her a week. I know traumatic events can make hens stop laying. I read/posted in a thread on here where a lady introduced a rooster to her flock and they stopped laying all together.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by