Need Advice On Pendulous Crop and Surgery....ANYONE?

Good to hear she is looking brighter. Do you think the orange poop could have been an egg yolk? I imagine her system will be pretty low on nutrients in general so, she probably doesn't have enough calcium in her system to make a shell. Having said that, if she is very thin, it is unlikely that she would start laying. Generally they have to be in decent condition before they produce eggs.
Keeping my fingers crossed for her continued recovery too.

My vet took us through some really tough pendulous crop with our bird Tangerine, but it was a lot of work. Neither one of the vets in the practice are a big fan of the crop bra. We did 2 weeks of antibiotics twice a day combined with, it may have been three weeks, of laxatives 3 times a day. Tangerine hated us, but she came through it. I admit, sometimes we gave the laxatives fewer times a day. she definitely lost weight, but was also getting more nutrition than she would have with a bound up crop. We stayed the long course of treatment, and the constant laxatives helped her crop to "keep moving" enough that the excess size reduced over the time, so she didn't just pack it straight back up. We had her on food restrictions for the first few days, but with the laxatives it wasn't as worrisome or, it seems, important. She is healthy and happy today.

Update:

The last few days, Gypsy has had little to no appetite. About the only thing that interests her is scrambled eggs. She has lost a lot of weight and I am starting to lose hope. Her poo has ranged anywhere from liquid to pudding to small & solid, but coated white. I took in a poop sample in the 20th and it showed she had a little bacteria and yeast going on. I just finished her 2nd round of antibiotics last night. They gave me Fluconazole for the yeast, but then later said not to give it to her?? I still have it and might try it now that she is off the anti's.

I asked the vet about a crop bra to help the now emptied & stretched out crop to retain its shape and he said he has seen very little improvement with use of one. ANYONE WITH A SUCCESS STORY...I NEED TO HEAR FROM YOU LOL. He also told me to give her watery food, (which I have been offering with little success) and continue no access to hay and grass. He suggested there may be something else going on with her :(

On a positive note, she is still bright eyed and vocal. She forages around my garage like she is hungry. I just wish she would eat what she's supposed to. Is she playing hold out for scrambled eggs? Or is something Else going on? I wish I knew.

The Vet said give her a couple weeks to try to bounce back. Any other surgeries after the one she had will be way to expensive and I'll have to put her down if she doesn't. The thought of this makes me sad because she is my favorite bird :( I'm not giving up yet, just feeling a bit defeated at the moment and I don't want her to suffer.

Good to hear she is looking brighter. Do you think the orange poop could have been an egg yolk? I imagine her system will be pretty low on nutrients in general so, she probably doesn't have enough calcium in her system to make a shell. Having said that, if she is very thin, it is unlikely that she would start laying. Generally they have to be in decent condition before they produce eggs.
Keeping my fingers crossed for her continued recovery too.
Thanks for the well wishes! I don't think the orange colored poo was an egg yolk. All of my chickens went through a molt and haven't given me an egg in weeks. They are freeloading slackers right now lol. I take that back...My buff just started laying again a couple days ago. She slacked on and off all summer though... sitting on nothing...

My vet took us through some really tough pendulous crop with our bird Tangerine, but it was a lot of work. Neither one of the vets in the practice are a big fan of the crop bra. We did 2 weeks of antibiotics twice a day combined with, it may have been three weeks, of laxatives 3 times a day. Tangerine hated us, but she came through it. I admit, sometimes we gave the laxatives fewer times a day. she definitely lost weight, but was also getting more nutrition than she would have with a bound up crop. We stayed the long course of treatment, and the constant laxatives helped her crop to "keep moving" enough that the excess size reduced over the time, so she didn't just pack it straight back up. We had her on food restrictions for the first few days, but with the laxatives it wasn't as worrisome or, it seems, important. She is healthy and happy today.
I'm glad to hear that Tangerine made it through. Its very encouraging :) Agreed...a lot of work. Trying to do my best! Did the crop shrink back up to normal size after the blockage passed?

Gypsy is Still showing little interest in food and water. She weighed in a 4 lbs 2 oz. Yesterday & is having solid, dry white colored poops. I plan to bring her inside today, since its getting colder in the garage. The first thing she goes for in the morning is grit? Not food. I'm concerned something else is wrong :(

I think that often a crop problem is the first indication that something else is wrong. I'm not an expert on her breed but her weight certainly sounds light. As for the dry white poops is it all white? That sounds like possible infection. Poor girl. It's so frustrating when you're not sure what to treat for. I hope she starts to turn a corner and improve for you.

I posted this pic on another thread, but yes its all white.

UPDATE: I just made Gypsy a special scrambled egg. I scrambled about equal amouts of mushy layer pellets & egg together in a pan, then added 5ml of water & 5ml electrolytes to it & she gobbled up half of it....now just have wait til it comes out the other end...fingers crossed

Back
Top Bottom