Need advice on what breed of chicks to get

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Gindee77, Apr 24, 2008.

1. Gindee77

Gindee77 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    I'm going to the farm store next Wed. In fact, I'm going to two different stores to see what chicks they get in. I didn't order any but figured I'd rather get an assortment of 6 or so. If you order you have to get 6 of the same breed. If you get them at the store, you still have to get at least 6 but you can get assorted breeds.

My question is, what breed do you think is the best out of these 4? RIR's, Black sex-links, New Hampshire Reds, or Wyandottes? I need quiet chickens that are good layer and that can stand the cold, adapt to being inside or in a tractor. I have read all the literature but would like some first-hand advice from those of you who've had these breeds before.

TIA

Last edited: Apr 24, 2008
  2. chcknrs

chcknrs Songster

Mar 7, 2008
    Kelso, WA
    I have 2 RIR's and they are soooooooo sweet, even as teenagers! They love to ride on my shoulder when I am outside. Today they found the sliding glass door. Was gonna take a pic, but the window is filthy from the dogs. (It's still a mud bog here).

I haven't had any of the other types you mention, so I don't know about them. I have read that RIR's are premium for egg-laying, tho.

3. tntstanifer

tntstanifer Songster

Nov 1, 2007
    Tennessee
    Hmmm, I would say RIR. I have 5 4 week old chicks and they are sweeties. But, I would really say BR if you can get those! I have 5 of those also and they fly up on my shoulder! I have one GLW hen and she's great also. Stays in a chicken tractor at night and free ranges durning the day. Good egg layer, about med to large size. I don't have any of the others, sorry.

4. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Songster

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    Too bad you can't get one of each. [​IMG] I have a RIR, NHR and have always kept a few Sex-links around and I think they are all great. I've had Wyandottes in the past (I have a couple of GLW chicks, but nothing grown-up) and they were very pretty, great layers and nice personalities.

I personally would go with Sex-links if that is all I could have. All mine have had super sweet personalities, wonderful layers and are just in general easy to get along with birds. Plus they are gorgeous, gorgeous girls. [​IMG]

5. Our winters should be about the same. I bought a mix (5) of black & red sex links from the local feed store. They said they order those because they do well in this climate. The birds came from Ideal.

6. Gindee77

Gindee77 Songster

Mar 31, 2008
    QCA, Illinois
    Thanks everyone!

I can have more than one type. Since I'm buying the chicks at the store, I still have to get a minimum of 6 chicks, but I can get an assortment. It was only if you ordered ahead of time that you had to get 6 of one breed.

I already have some EE's, Golden Comet sex-links (which are so friendly) and a couple BO's and one poor little BR that's probably a roo.

If ALL of these breeds I mentioned are good, I'll probably try to get some of each breed!! I want a mixed/colorful flock like I had years ago. But back then, I kept them out in the country and had no problem if they were noisy or rowdy. Now I'm in a neighborhood and don't want the neighbors to complain!

I checked the hatchery where the FS ordered their chicks and these were the breeds I may possibly be able to get, that I'd be interested in. (Cackle Hatchery)

I can hardly wait until April 30!!

7. sbwhite0

sbwhite0 In the Brooder

Mar 15, 2008
    Terre Haute,IN
    Good choice

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: