Need advice please

the3ofus+oursixchicks

Songster
8 Years
Apr 22, 2011
alabama
I didn't know about the straw being a good source of insulation. my floor is sand. I covered all with windows with thick plastic. the high here in Alabama is supposed to be 17 I think. my flock free ranges most of the time. is it ok to let them out in temps that cold? plus our roads are supposed to be icy tomorrow so I may not be able to get the straw. what else could I do? my coop is prob 6ft wide and 5ft tall. also I have one of my hens that doesn't sleep beside anyone because she is low on pecking order she chooses to sleep alone. I don't blame her. is it ok if one sleeps by itself in the cold?

Judging by your signature line I assume you have heavy breed chickens. They should all be fine. Mine have been in the -10 for a week at a time with a n uninsulated coop. Just be sure they still have plenty of fresh water and a place to be out of the wind/drafts. The one who sleeps alone may get chilled but shouldn't be hurt by it just uncomfortable. Good Luck! We are in the middle of a cold snap here too. But they chickens were still out and about.

Your chickens should be fine. Mine were out running around last week in -0 temperatures. Granted, it was only single digits below. I'm keeping them in the coop with our -20's. Don't seal your coop up too tightly, though. They need good ventilation to keep the humidity down. Humidity and cold are what cause frostbite, not just the cold. It is also warmer in the coop than it is outside. Not much, maybe, but some. Your chickens have wonderful down coats, and even if yours aren't acclimated to quite that cold, they'll fluff up their feathers and trap the warmth from their bodies. They should be just fine. It's one night, not sustained cold. All they really need is to be out of the wind, rain and snow and have access to food and water.

ok GREAT!!! they are definitely out of the weather. The wind chill in the morning will be -0 they are saying. is it ok for them to go outside of the coop? they don't need a heat lamp? my chickens are barred rock, wynodottes, easter eaggers.

If they're willing to leave the coop, I'd let them. Mine prefer to hang around in the coop in the winter because they don't like the snow. When my DH plows the driveway, they'll go out and wander for awhile. They'll be happy this weekend when it gets back up above zero.

Back
Top Bottom