Need advice to help my girls

happyhencamper

Songster
Sep 25, 2020
Hi there,

I have been using backyardchickens.com for a few years now through ?s I search on Google.

I am having some issues currently that I wanted to post questions and realized I needed to join.

So here I am.

I started with 4 Plymouth/Barred Rocks 6 years ago of which 3 are still running around the yard as we speak. One lost to a hawk. (New to chickens then).

2 years ago I got a mix of Rhode Island Reds, Cinnamons and New Hampshire Reds 6. One lost to Predator. Door was closed too early by chicken sitter Lucy was locked out. (2 automatic doors installed now).

We moved and Rocks and Reds have a big palatial coop and run. Hadn’t lost any while at our old property where they had a much smaller contained area.
Ethel drops dead no warning no symptoms. (Self diagnosed: a bush growing in my grapevines on their run. Dark blue berries. I was told they are poisonous to chickens). Now we are 7.

Louise starts separating herself from the others, closing her eyes when standing in a corner, ruffled and dirty looking, liquid yellow poop with some white. I found you guys. Got the Corid, first didn’t convert the ml to teaspoons correctly dosed for 7 days only 1 teaspoon per gallon of drinking water. I separated her but dosed them all as more yellow butts were starting. Everyone seemed better but not for long.

same thing started again. I found the correct conversion and did 2 tsp per gallon to them all. All of the ladies feathers and liquid butts, struggling to breath, head shaking and sneezing stopped within just a few days. That was maybe a month ago. Today Louise occasionally in a corner standing with eyes closed, doing the head shake thing here and there. Liquid yellow butt of course. One of the Rocks just shot liquid yellow at me too. Louise is a RI.

How many times can you treat with this Corid and be safe? Will it always come back in Louise? I read an article about getting-rid of the weak. I can’t.
Do I up the does? Add something new?

Caroline didn’t even appear sick and died inside coop for chicken sitter after first dosing.
Thelma died from sour crop I suspect from yeast from all of the Corid treatments. I separated and massaged crop upward she spit up but was dead next day.
Have 6 four month old Americanas not yet migrated with my old girls and I am so stressed over this sickness. I love and enjoy my girls so much but this just breaks my heart. I want it to go away and stay away.
6 babies and 5 old ladies.
I hope I can offer things to the group as I am sure this is a great place to figure out this coccidiosis long term issue.
Thanks

Welcome to BYC sorry for the problems. It sounds like it is time to have a necropsy done on a dying/recently dead bird to find out exactly what is going on with them. Good luck in finding a resolution. Provide your state location, and perhaps someone can find a lab near you. @casportpony can you help here ?

Loss, I know quite well. So sorry. :hugs
-BYC-sign-flash.gif

Back
Top Bottom