NEED ADVICE!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by luvmypets, Mar 17, 2013.

1. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    Our rooster Oliver is very mean and he scares me. I don't know what to do. People tell me not to be afraid of him, but I just cant help it. He's a big Cuckoo Maran and he is definetley top roo. He attacked my dog for no reason and now all I can think about are the "What Ifs". So yeah I need some advice on how to control his outbursts.
    Thanks, luvmypets

2. Masonicflock

Masonicflock Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 4, 2012
    Springfield, Tn
    If he has a flare up just take a yard stick or a stick and hit him.. plain and simple. It has fixed several roosters and is a tried and true method. Don't have to knock him out but a good rap will usually settle them down after a few times. Least towards people.

3. Cotton42

Cotton42 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2012
    St. Louis, Missouri
    I had a blue Marans that would attack me every time I went into the yard. I will not put up with an aggressive rooster no matter how pretty they are so I sent him to freezer camp. The best advice I can give is eat him, once they see you as a threat and start attacking you there is not much you can do to change them, IMHO.

4. Drapery Mary

Drapery Mary Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2013
    I have a cukoo marans rooster and he is my nicest guy. I did read (probably here somewhere) that someone was taking a big fishing net to catch mean roosters and using it to put them in a "time out" cage every time they were aggressive towards her.

Good luck, I have a blue copper marans rooster who doesn't want my hands in their little coop to change the water or add more food but when I let him out yesterday to free range, he was a nice boy to me and even went back in when I walked his ladies in. I was amazed!

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013
  5. scratch'n'peck

scratch'n'peck Overrun With Chickens

Oct 31, 2008
    West Michigan
    My Coop
  6. luvmypets

luvmypets Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2013
    East Coast
    I already ruled cooking him out. He's never attacked me but I know if im not careful he would. Also were putting him in our small vineyard with a few hens.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by