Need Advise - Chick Not Able to Get OUt of Shell

I have a chick trying to hatch. It's started to hatch 2 days ago, and continues very slowly to try and breakout of her shell but doesn't seem to be able to. She is still alive, she talks, I can see her breathing and moving, but is making real slow progress on getting out of her shell.
So my question is: should I just continue to wait and let her do it on her own? or should I try to help?
Hi,

There are two schools of thought on this: If it isn't strong enough to get out it may not be a strong/healthy chicken later so let nature handle it, or help it out and see what happens.

If I was in this situation, "I" would crack open the shell after two days because the chick is probably exhausted at this point and may not be able to finish the job. I have this problem with my Marans eggs even though the humidity is perfect. So, I crack it open the ones that have been struggling for a day and remove the top and sometimes even get the chick out and leave it with the shell and umbilical attached (as it would be if it got out by itself).

Good luck with the hatch!

Last edited:
Of about 5 that I’ve assisted, only 1 has made it. It may sound cruel, but that’s part of natural selection. We want all of our chicks to make it but it don’t always work out that way. I have assisted and babied them and they look great… 2 days later they die. At 2 days you definitely can’t hurt by helping at this point.

Hi,

There are two schools of thought on this: If it isn't strong enough to get out it may not be a strong/healthy chicken later so let nature handle it, or help it out and see what happens.

If I was in this situation, "I" would crack open the shell after two days because the chick is probably exhausted at this point and may not be able to finish the job. I have this problem with my Marans eggs even though the humidity is perfect. So, I crack it open the ones that have been struggling for a day and remove the top and sometimes even get the chick out and leave it with the shell and umbilical attached (as it would be if it got out by itself).

Good luck with the hatch!
I understand what your saying, and I hate to admit it, even to myself. But I just tried to assist it alittle, and what I can see, the membrane is really really stuck to that chick. I moistened the membrane with al little water to see if that will help. I'm hoping for the best, but I fear the worst. I don't as a rule hatch eggs. I found 1 of my hens two days ago hidding in the barn. When I picked her up to check on her, she had 2 eggs under her. 1 had a hole in it. I checked the egg and saw the chick. So I took the egg (as we have a neighbors cat that hangs out around our barn) and put it in the incubator. Yesterday, the mother hatched the other egg, so I put mom and chick in a separate cage to keep them safe. But thank you for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, and to others who have responded. I've never seen or even heard of this happening, so didn't know what to do. Thank you

Of about 5 that I’ve assisted, only 1 has made it. It may sound cruel, but that’s part of natural selection. We want all of our chicks to make it but it don’t always work out that way. I have assisted and babied them and they look great… 2 days later they die. At 2 days you definitely can’t hurt by helping at this point.
Thank you WallyG74. I get what your saying, but I can't help myself, I have to at least try. Thank you for your response. I really appreciate the help and advice I get from members here on BYC. Thank you

I understand what your saying, and I hate to admit it, even to myself. But I just tried to assist it alittle, and what I can see, the membrane is really really stuck to that chick. I moistened the membrane with al little water to see if that will help. I'm hoping for the best, but I fear the worst. I don't as a rule hatch eggs. I found 1 of my hens two days ago hidding in the barn. When I picked her up to check on her, she had 2 eggs under her. 1 had a hole in it. I checked the egg and saw the chick. So I took the egg (as we have a neighbors cat that hangs out around our barn) and put it in the incubator. Yesterday, the mother hatched the other egg, so I put mom and chick in a separate cage to keep them safe. But thank you for your advice. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond, and to others who have responded. I've never seen or even heard of this happening, so didn't know what to do. Thank you
Sticky chick is the right diagnosis then.

I've helped many, & all have made it.

When the membrane is exposed to the air for too long and the chick can't get out, then it get's "shrink wrapped" which is why I intervene. But - ask 10 people and you will get 20 answers :)

Thank you MysteryChicken. Your response gives me hope. I've never even heard of, let alone seen anything like this. Thank you
You're welcome.

If you need further help, removing the sticky membrane, just post back with pictures, & questions.

Usually the ones I've saved have been 24 hours, stuck with no progress made.

Thank you MysteryChicken. Your response gives me hope. I've never even heard of, let alone seen anything like this. Thank
I had a duckling in the same situation last weekend. I ended up assisting and pulling the sticky membrane off of it. It is doing absolutely fine now and is as healthy as can be. Good luck with yours.

I am in the middle of a hatch now, and this morning I had to help one out that started yesterday. The shell was completely gone on one half, but the chick couldn't break the membrane. I helped it out a few hours ago and it's doing great.

In the past, I have also helped them out too early and caused bleeding, so you really need to wait until you feel there is no other option.

Back
Top Bottom