Need coop camera recommendations!

smott

Songster
Apr 15, 2020
I am looking for a camera to use in my coop/run! It will be about 25-30 feet from my wifi router and will need to be battery or solar powered and safe to use outdoors.
I have tried one that I am sending back because it will not stay connected to my wifi at that distance.
Anyone have recommendations based on one that has worked for you?

I use a Ring camera but the main drawback is it's costly compared to some others.
@rosemarythyme I don't mind paying a little more for one if it will work. I'm having to return an $80 one I purchased from Amazon because it won't stay connected to my wifi. Do you mind my asking how far from your router you maintain a successful connection? Seems like all the wifi cameras have mixed reviews regarding poor wifi connectivity!

First off, I'm gonna say wow ya over doing things. No judgement tho.

As an electrician and tech idiot/geek, have you looked at focused antennas for your router or even upgrading it? My shop is 100 feet from my house and I simply put a focused antenna on my router and changed my wifi from 0 to 45%. You cheap like me you can build one for next to nothing with plans from the net.

I get off my lazy butt and dig a trench I can run cat5 (which I have 1000 foot roll) and wire my shop to the router. Might be something else to think about, have a hardwired ethernet port in the coop. LMAO, but again not judging, but it might be cheaper and more reliable than spending on more wireless stuff.

My coop is about 20' from my living room, living room is about 30' from the router. I didn't think of carrying the camera all over the lot to see how far it could reach, though that would've been interesting.

I am looking for a camera to use in my coop/run! It will be about 25-30 feet from my wifi router and will need to be battery or solar powered and safe to use outdoors.
I have tried one that I am sending back because it will not stay connected to my wifi at that distance.
Anyone have recommendations based on one that has worked for you?

my recommendation is not to use one for the same reason I don’t recommend parents use baby cams. Just adds a lot of stress and another thing to check for no benefit.

Anyway, I am happy with ring cameras.

Me? I'm not having connection issues. :) Was just trying to figure out how far my signal goes to get to the coop cam.

I understand but still goes to the OP. The closer you can get the transmitting antenna to the receiving one the better they "talk".

my recommendation is not to use one for the same reason I don’t recommend parents use baby cams. Just adds a lot of stress and another thing to check for no benefit.

Anyway, I am happy with ring cameras.

LMAO aint that the truth. My lil brother just had his first last month and all about the "interesting" not needed stuff. My kids are 12 and 4 and even tho we are tech geeks we aint ever felt the need to non stop monitor them. Our kids are each step kids (12 y/o is my bio) and she a computer tech. Let kids be kids and lower your ulcer count.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom