Need Good Ol' Chicken Dog

We have a Pyr/Anatolian Shepherd cross who is great with our chickens, even though he's not trained to be. He pretty much ignores them. (The chickens are in a run and the dogs have no access to them.) On the other hand, our GSD is the hyper focusing, high prey drive guy who absolutely can't be trusted with the chickens. The Pyr cross shows his natural guardian instincts and could easily be trained with free ranging chickens. Like a lot of folks have said, it takes time to get them where you want them. But just be aware that some breeds can be barkers when they perceive a threat. (Ours never shuts his kibble hole when he's outside.I think it's the Anatolian in him?) A woman I met who had Anatolians on her farm said they barked all night long outside. Close neighbors might not be appreciative of the noise.

What good would locking the dog up do? None.

You have to make a commitment to the dog and chickens that you will train the dog to not attack. You can't just get a dog out of a shelter and expect it to know it is supposed to be okay with feather-covered footballs that run, squawk, forage and live.

I have 4 big dogs and they wouldn't touch a hen if they lives depended upon it. I take no nonsense and they have all been trained in obedience by me. All 4 are strays and rescues.

Work. Work. Work.

We have a Pyr/Anatolian Shepherd cross who is great with our chickens, even though he's not trained to be. He pretty much ignores them. (The chickens are in a run and the dogs have no access to them.) On the other hand, our GSD is the hyper focusing, high prey drive guy who absolutely can't be trusted with the chickens. The Pyr cross shows his natural guardian instincts and could easily be trained with free ranging chickens. Like a lot of folks have said, it takes time to get them where you want them. But just be aware that some breeds can be barkers when they perceive a threat. (Ours never shuts his kibble hole when he's outside.I think it's the Anatolian in him?) A woman I met who had Anatolians on her farm said they barked all night long outside. Close neighbors might not be appreciative of the noise.
Actually from what I have heard Pyrenees bark more at night than Anatolians... but most LGD bark at night to intimidate predators.

In Oklahoma and Texas there is a recognized breed called the "Black-Mouthed Mountain Cur". They are highly sought after for herding cattle and hunting feral hogs.

The BMMC is very intelligent and make a fantastic family dog. Very loyal and loving. They are usually a yellow-cream color with the black "trim" around their muzzle.

The pups sell at over $1000.00 here.

I've had one and never had but one dog that was better than Bubby.

I have a red heeler, he was 2yrs old when i got chickens. He seems to like them and I've never lost one to a predator. The worst he does is marshall them around the yard a little. The birds are accustomed to his presence and not bothered by him at all. When i go to shut the coop at night he is frequently hanging around by the door.
There are a number of neighborhood cats who perched on the posts of my privacy fence seemingly waiting for an opportunity at first but they don't even bother anymore.

Generally speaking, i would stick with herding dogs rather than hunters. My lab, since decreased, was a gentle soul but he wanted at those birds pretty bad. It's hard to fight instinct.

Good luck!

A black mouth cur:

A red heeler:

In case anyone wanted pictures.
smile.png

Are you sure she should keep the dog she has? I have read once they get a taste for chicken its pretty much over.

We have 3 Yorkies, two female and one male. My chickens roam our back yard without fear of any of the three going after them. Our male Yorkie was just a pup when we got our chickens, and he took to them right away, guarding their coop during the day. to eating in the pen with them. I think it just takes supervision and interaction with all of them, they just become accustomed to each other roaming the yard. My male Yorkie doesn't like me giving the chickens special attention like holding them and feeding them from my lap or hand without giving him the same attention at the same time. If I don't he gets jealous and nips at them, but that is something I teach him not to do. Otherwise the dogs are in and out of the doggie door all day long with the chickens free in the back yard and we have no problem with either getting along. Our chickens are 2 now and still surviving.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom