Need hatching buddy! Setting 5 duck and 5 hen eggs Sat 1/16

shhh don't tell my husband but I didnt set 12, I set 14
wink.png

Had interesting day today!

I was reading some threads on the "Meat Bird" section of this forum.

Somebody mentioned how hard it was to find someone to process chickens. Another person mentioned looking in an Amish community.

Come to find out we have an Amish community a few miles away from home. So I piled the kids in the car and wandered in the general direction. I ended up finding an Amish butcher who was very friendly and knew someone who wanted to increase his small poultry processing operation. This might open up some opportunities to experiment with Cornish X meat birds!
(The butcher also had bee hives and was selling honey for $27/gallon which is an excellent price around here......so I came home with a gallon).

He then led me to a Amish bulk food store where I was able to find a bunch of staples VERY cheap!

Profitable day
smile.png

Sounds like an awesome day. I used to live within an hr. of a large Amish community in PA. They have an amazing work ethic and outstanding quality in what is produced. What a great resource for you if you choose to raise Cornish X! Are the Cornish usually X w/Rock or are there many breeds that are can be crossed w/ Cornish for good, young meat?

Quote:
No, leave it at 32, it's fine. I'll try to keep mine around 35 percent humidity and 99.5-99.9 temp. I should be okay.

My DH suggested I hatch some silkies because I was so sad losing my silkie roo last month. And I snuck in 10 Splash Jerseys, LOL

Back
Top Bottom