Need help asap. My duckie just died. :(

cassandralynn

In the Brooder
5 Years
May 20, 2014
We had a BEAUTIFUL Mallard. She/he was a rescued egg that was left on a neighbor's pool tarp.

Mallie was healthy, happy, so strong. He was 2 weeks old. All of a sudden today, he woke up lame. He was flailing and unable to use his legs at all. It was so sad. Last night he was healthy as ever.

Now, after a struggle to breathe and some convulsing, he died. We are all crying here and so sad.

All the other ducklings seem fine (they are domestic breeds... 2 weeks and 1 week old).

Any ideas what could have happened?!

I'm so sad and so scared it will happen to another duckling!!! :(

I'm very sorry for your loss :(
I really don't know but it sounds like seizing and or something with the heart. If that's the case it would have likely happened out of your care anyway. I hope someone can give you better insight- my apologies to you again- very sad.

Thanks... :) I keep trying to tell myself that but I can't help but feel it was something I did. They were on non-medicated poultry starter, exactly what the feed store said to give them. They all seem fine... I'm so sad and baffled. :(

Last edited:
I hear you. It is awful and traumatizing. Hang in there mama duck! We can't save them all. If it gives you a little chuckle, I just spent $2k saving my 1 year old duck who was my first and we are very attached- My little pooper better hang in there! lol.

Back
Top Bottom