I need help with med options for my poor duckie

rosa1347

Songster
8 Years
Mar 30, 2015
My duck al got a cough yesterday. i went out, he was quacking, happy to see me , no rasps or coughing and then a couple hours later he was coughing and today he has some wheezing, i was going to get some meds for him but i'm unsure of what to get him. i'm not chancing it getting worse so i thought i'd ask on here sense i caught it early.

he's a male mallard , he was born march 15th so 6 months today (just realized)

I plan on calling my vet here in a minute but i'm not sure what he will tell me, i don't think he usually handles duckie matters but its worth a try

tysm in advance everyone!

i’m thinking i would start off by using some VetRX to soothe him. It’s kind of like Vicks for people you warm it up, put some on his bill and under his wings where he tucks his head.
can you please make a video of him coughing and wheezing so we can see what you mean? In the meantime, hopefully @Miss Lydia and @Canadian Wind may be in soon.

Only thing I can think of is to have him put on antibiotics. Over here, we can't get them over the counter or at a feed store, so it's a vet visit. I treat my animals with herbals that I make myself. In this case, I would use Mullein syrup.

Sounds like he does have an upper respiratory condition, though.

I think that if your duck needed antibiotics, that is if he had a bacterial infection, he would be ill and not just have a cough. Many duck keepers use Baytril for bacterial infections. You might be able to get that at a feed store but if not you can buy it from All Bird Products on line.

Last edited:
My duck al got a cough yesterday. i went out, he was quacking, happy to see me , no rasps or coughing and then a couple hours later he was coughing and today he has some wheezing, i was going to get some meds for him but i'm unsure of what to get him. i'm not chancing it getting worse so i thought i'd ask on here sense i caught it early.

he's a male mallard , he was born march 15th so 6 months today (just realized)

I plan on calling my vet here in a minute but i'm not sure what he will tell me, i don't think he usually handles duckie matters but its worth a try

tysm in advance everyone!
He may just have allergies. Try giving him 1/2 a Benadryl.

No lie, birds can get 'Hay fever' just like us.

If that doesn't work, pursue the possibility of an upper respiratory infection.

Back
Top Bottom