Need Help ASAP!!!! Sick/Healthy hen...

CowgirlMama

Songster
12 Years
Feb 23, 2011
Baker City, Oregon
I just bought 9 laying hens last weekend to add to my flock. I have them quarantined away from my other chickens. One of the new ones died this week (went out to let everyone out for the day into the pen, and found her dead). Several of them have NO feather on their butts (kinda ugly!) and one of them is oozing a clear liquid from her vent. I'm thinking either prolapse (I haven't seen anything actually sticking out) or egg bound. Her feathers that she does have below her vent are caked with feces and blood. I think she's been laying till the last couple days, but her eggs have been very bloody. She also smells REALLY bad. Anyone have any idea what could be going on? She looks healthy otherwise and is eating and drinking. I changed their food when I got them (I feed a different feed). She also looks like she's been getting pecked at, there is scabbing above her vent. I don't have time to treat her everyday and DH only has time today to dispose of her if that's what needs to happen.... I'm just looking for ideas of what it could be and if it will possibly clear up on its own. I do have pics I can post if needed. Thanks!

Did you look for evidence of mites/lice on the dead bird? I'd check the girls for bugs right away and worm them too. Just from my initial read through, it sounds like they might have a lot of "little" things that have worn them down.

Did you look for evidence of mites/lice on the dead bird? I'd check the girls for bugs right away and worm them too. Just from my initial read through, it sounds like they might have a lot of "little" things that have worn them down.

The gal I got them from had just dusted them for lice, and I didn't check the dead one thoroughly. But didn't see evidence of lice or mites. I've been putting ACV in their water every other day.

If she smells REALLY bad as you say, it could be vent gleet. There are other posts on here about that and a good page link is provided to help care for it. I think someone said Monistat suppositories?? I've only had one bird that had vent gleet and I put him out of his misery, poor sweet boy! I didn't know about this list at that time and everything I read said the only treatment was long, drawn out and not guaranteed to work... so... what else could I do? Now I know better and I'm armed against another strike... may it never come!

Back
Top Bottom