Need help! Chicks about ready to go outside!!!

I'm in Texas- so it EXTREMELY HOT here and I was worried about them getting too hot. Our high temps have been in the upper 90's and lows in the mid to lower 70's
We cooped our nearly month old pulleys a few days ago. Even tho there is plenty of cool water and shade they did pant and seem to over heat in the mid day heat. So I froze some plastic soda bottles filled with water and laid them in the coops run where it is shaded. It has definitely made a difference. As the nights get hotter I will also add nightly to the coop. A wet towel or blanket also will cool the air in a well ventilated coop. Our nights can be in th upper 90s so this is something else I will do as we roll into July and August.
1f423.png

We cooped our nearly month old pulleys a few days ago. Even tho there is plenty of cool water and shade they did pant and seem to over heat in the mid day heat. So I froze some plastic soda bottles filled with water and laid them in the coops run where it is shaded. It has definitely made a difference. As the nights get hotter I will also add nightly to the coop. A wet towel or blanket also will cool the air in a well ventilated coop. Our nights can be in th upper 90s so this is something else I will do as we roll into July and August.
1f423.png

Great advice! I did notice them panting today but they were also still crowding each other like they did in the brooder. I think they are still scared to be outside since they were brooded inside. They are not exploring too terribly much/ but they are eating and drinking. I put a frozen water bottle inside their waterer. I'm wondering if I should put a box fan out there and on their coop at night? The coop had a small vent on each side of it. I personally don't think there's enough airflow.
Thanks for your advice! Sometimes I wonder why I live in Texas with this extreme heat!!!???

Back
Top Bottom