Need Help Choosing An Incubator For A Newbie

goosemama

Songster
10 Years
Jul 11, 2009
Forestville, New York
I've decided to take the plunge and buy an incubator so I can try to hatch some Dorking eggs (and hopefully I'll find some fertile eggs from a member). Just can't wait until Spring to order from McMurray Hatchery. I wanted the flock ready to hit the ground and laying by Spring. Saw several Hova Bator 1602N incubators on EBay but don't know if there is a more reliable or fool proof system out there. Don't want to spend a TON of money but am willing to pay enough so that I get a good reliable and idiot proof system (believe me I need it!).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I have the hovabator 1602N with auto turner. So far it's worked really well for me. It holds a consistent temperature. I've really only had to adjust it when a storm came through. I had to increase the temp then decrease when it was over.

And the vent holes are in a perfect spot to add water. Just stick a bendy straw through the vent hole and use a medicine syringe to add water (warm water) into bendy straw. You don't have to open the bator and lose heat while you add water.

My eggs are on Day 18, due to start hatching this Friday.

WHICHEVER incubator that you choose, I'd suggest 3 things:
old.gif

1. get an egg-turner (so you WON'T be opening the incubator to turn eggs.)
2. get an incubator with a FAN ( for good air circulation.)
3. Once you have your incubator stabilized at the correct temperature and humidity, PAY ATTENTION to VENTILATION more than "fretting" over TEMP or HUMIDITY.

BECAUSE IF your TEMP and HUMIDITY readings are fairly stable, you'll likely have a successful hatch, provided that there is good ventilation. (no drowned chicks and no "baked" chicks)

just my opinion........
smile.png
wink.png

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

I agree w/ Junkmanme!

I have an older 1602N (I bought used) and a 1588 (I bought new), both Hovabators. The only critique I have for the 1602N is that I added a fan to circulate air. Circulating air seems to stabilize the conditions better. Other than that, the 1602N does fine & I use it for my hatching incubator (days 19-21). The 1588 w/ egg turner is for the first 18 days. Both do a great job!
big_smile.png

The 1588 model is probably the most reliable preset incubator in the stryo models.

What great people there are on this Forum! I am so impressed with everyone's spirit of generosity to share their time and experiences with those of us who are just starting out and have tons of questions.

With all this great help, I know I need something as fail proof as possible. With the help of several replies I have found a Hava-Bator l602N w/the fan and turner. One is a used unit and another brand new - both from E-Bay. So am watching the auction for the slightly used one and if it goes higher than I want to pay for used, I'll order the new one. This store "Discountpetcare" was recommended by another Forum and from my checking has the best price for this amount of features. So thanks again everyone - you are a great bunch!
Linda

ptwoody,

I looked at the incubator (new) that you mentioned at Ebay by "discountpetcare". I think it is a very good price! I paid that much (and similar shipping) for 2 used ones (both in need of repair) ....from which I made 1 good one (the turner was in good shape). So, I think you would do well IF you choose to make THIS purchase.

Your purchase would have a year's warranty. (and be NEW)
wink.png

just one opinion,
-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Thanks again to all who helped with suggestions and comments about buying an Incubator for a Newbie. After collecting all the advice it seemed the best bet was to include a bator w/circulating fan and egg turner. This we found in the Hova-Bator model #2362N that includes both these features. We were led to this seller by one of the Forum members. When I checked their online store I found the upgraded model for $109.99 plus shipping. I checked around several other places and no one could beat this price for these features - so thanks again everyone! I feel more confident now to start this new project and can hardly wait to get some Dorking eggs!
Linda

Back
Top Bottom