Need Help Determining What These Babies Are...

ltopper

Hatching
6 Years
Jul 2, 2013
Hi everyone....

Ok, long story but my bf has a pair of Embdens and a pair of, what he thinks are Africans. They free range together and he thinks he saw some hanky panky going on between the pairs. Eggs were layed, moved around (long story) and the African goose went broody and hatched 6 goslings. With a bad fox problem and the loss of several ducks and chickens, it ws decided I would take the babies. I have had them since 4 days of age and they are very attached to me and seem imprinted which surprised me a bit. Very sweet, enjoy being pet, follow me around and when I sit or lay on the grass, they all surround me and either graze or take a nap right up against me......I can even hold them upside down "like a baby". All have light feet and beaks except for one who has had a sort of speckled beak from early on. Just curious jf you think they are all Embdens or crosses. Attaching pics of the adults and kid pics from a few days old to now at 3wks.

Thanks so much!

Hi everyone....

Ok, long story but my bf has a pair of Embdens and a pair of, what he thinks are Africans. They free range together and he thinks he saw some hanky panky going on between the pairs. Eggs were layed, moved around (long story) and the African goose went broody and hatched 6 goslings. With a bad fox problem and the loss of several ducks and chickens, it ws decided I would take the babies. I have had them since 4 days of age and they are very attached to me and seem imprinted which surprised me a bit. Very sweet, enjoy being pet, follow me around and when I sit or lay on the grass, they all surround me and either graze or take a nap right up against me......I can even hold them upside down "like a baby". All have light feet and beaks except for one who has had a sort of speckled beak from early on. Just curious jf you think they are all Embdens or crosses. Attaching pics of the adults and kid pics from a few days old to now at 3wks.

Thanks so much!
Hi. i haven´t answered as I don´t have asiatics or Embdens. And ganders sometimes do mate with other geese. I would say there´s a definite Embden influence there. I´d guess one of the gozzies may be asiatic.
If you want to breed true, you need to put them in separate pens just for the breeding season. Ganders have their favourite goose, which he would be terribly sad to lose, but he´ll go off courting other geese, no problem!

Why not start a new thread, entitled 'African cross?' That may attract asiatic breeders to see what they think. There´s a member on here, 'servpolice', who has both these breeds and cross-breeds them too. He´ll know.

Hi.  i haven´t answered as I don´t have asiatics or Embdens. And ganders sometimes do mate with other geese.  I would say there´s a definite Embden influence there.  I´d guess one of the gozzies may be asiatic.
If you want to breed true, you need to put them in separate pens just for the breeding season.  Ganders have their favourite goose, which he would be terribly sad to lose, but he´ll go off courting other geese, no problem!

Why not start a new thread, entitled 'African cross?'  That may attract asiatic breeders to see what they think.  There´s a member on here, 'servpolice', who has both these breeds and cross-breeds them too.  He´ll know.

Already had that talk with my bf about seperating them.......I will contact the other member for sure...thank you for suggesting him.

Back
Top Bottom