Need help diagnose death (may contain gory images)

Eonflux

Chirping
Jul 15, 2020
Anyone here want to help me diagnose the death of my quail? I’ve plucked all the feather off and noticed a big lump on the side of the bird. Looks like tumor or something. Not sure, I’ve taken pictures, if anyone wants to help let me know and I can upload them.

Looks like tumor or something.
Tumors and cancers are not uncommon in poultry.

Some viruses cause tumors!

What is the age of your bird and source it came from? How many more do you have? Any symptoms leading up to death or was it dispatched?

You plucked it.. were you planning to process or harvest for eating or that's just how you started the necropsy? Did you continue and open up the inside to look at intestines or organs? Do you have a microscope? Consider adding your general location to your profile as it may help folks make their best suggestion possible at a glance. I am posting a link to state poultry labs in the US where necropsy testing is often done free or low cost to back yard keepers as a means of protecting our national food supply chain, though I am unsure how it pertains to quail, they are still poultry..
State poultry labs

Yes, your headline warns of the images.. please post them for informational and diagnostic purposes for anyone that may be able to offer insight or learn from them.

Sorry for your loss! :hugs

Ok here we go. No I wasn’t planning to eat the meat. The quail has died from the disease. This is a bobwhite by the way, not coturnix.

Here is what it looks like after plucked, you can see whatever that is is very swollen. The second picture is when I cut the skin and lift it up. The 3rd picture is when I cut further inside, you can see all the yellow lumps. Any clues?

Attachments

• 5A8A2FC3-6AD0-4BD7-A8FC-3D1EC09DB587.jpeg
    5A8A2FC3-6AD0-4BD7-A8FC-3D1EC09DB587.jpeg
    287 KB · Views: 31
  • B1DCEA5B-59C0-416B-AE5F-F99E2831CD7C.jpeg
    B1DCEA5B-59C0-416B-AE5F-F99E2831CD7C.jpeg
    247.5 KB · Views: 30
  • D58377F2-26F2-498C-9172-071C81A1C141.jpeg
    D58377F2-26F2-498C-9172-071C81A1C141.jpeg
    280.8 KB · Views: 30
Ok here we go. No I wasn’t planning to eat the meat. The quail has died from the disease. This is a bobwhite by the way, not coturnix.

Here is what it looks like after plucked, you can see whatever that is is very swollen. The second picture is when I cut the skin and lift it up. The 3rd picture is when I cut further inside, you can see all the yellow lumps. Any clues?
Yuck, that is gruesome! I don't know hot it could be! I am honestly confused!

Did you cut open the big lump to see what was inside?

I did, it was just a big yellow lump. If you look at the last picture I uploaded, it looks just like the yellow organ. Very hard and lumpy. It looks like there a lumps or leisions all over the organs.

What type of quail is this?
And where do you live?
About where...not exact.

Back
Top Bottom