Need Help - Duck Egg pipped with yolk coming out.

Mykidsloveducks

Chirping
6 Years
Jun 1, 2015
I have a Rowen duck egg that started hatching. It's beak is poking out through the shell and yolk has come out through the hole. I noticed this about 12 hours ago. I moved the egg as it was sticking to the hatching mat. There is very little movement from the duck. What should I do? Any advice would be appreciated.

Came home to these two cuties!
File Jun 03, 9 27 01 PM.jpeg

Came home to these two cuties!View attachment 1030628

That's awesome!! Sometimes we just get impatient, and we worry too much. It's very hard not to jump in and help. learning the timing is key when they need it or not. I'm always so happy to see happy endings!! Congrats!!

More trouble! I don't have the nerves for this! I love these little ducklings but I'm going crazy! I have a crested duckling that just hatched that appears to have wry neck. It can't hold it's head up straight. My girls are devastated! This is the duckling they wanted most of all. (We had a crest named Afro that died last year. :hit) I have read several feeds with varying information on how to help from niacin, brewers yeast, and prednisone. (and I don't even know what all of these are.)

I would really love some advice on what to do. This is my second year hatching out ducklings and I didn't have this same trouble last year. Any help would be appreciated.

There is another who has been having severe issues with wry neck in a hugely crested duckling... I'm going to direct you to her thread so you can find out what has worked for her and where she got prednisone and the rest...

https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/please-help.1174684/

Thank you for everyone's advice and help. Unfortunately my crest didn't make it through the night. :( I have one remaining egg to hatch that is also a crest. It was due to hatch on Saturday/Sunday with my other ducklings but it is taking its sweet time. It has internally pipped but no cracks in the egg. I saw movement in the egg about an hour ago. I am worried that it is taking so much longer than the others. I would hate to lose this one also.

BTW - here is a picture of the ducklings taking their first swim. IMG_9256.JPG

Back
Top Bottom