Need help identifying # of day for chicken egg (Incubating)

HayHayComet

Chirping
Oct 13, 2019
Medway MA
Hello All!

I am new to Backyardchickens as well as to owning/raising a flock of chickens. A couple of weeks ago, our Silkie Roo was killed by a hawk. In an attempt to carry on his legacy and have a piece of him still with is, we are hatching some eggs. We are down to one survivor, who I believe is doing well. I set egg on 9/24. According to what I’ve read, we should be on day 19. Although there is some great information regarding hatching/incubation/candling, etc. I am having trouble identifying what day, according to many charts/pics of embryo development, this egg actually is. I started the eggs in a homemade still air incubator with a bulb and water to create humidity. I then ordered an incubator (Magicfly), when most eggs were ceasing mid-development, approx. 10 days in This last surviving egg has been holding on and we’re determined to do everything we can to have a successful hatch! It did have some damage from what looks to be a hen peck to the air cell end of the egg. I applied plain candle wax in attempt to repair, which seems to have helped, since the damage appears to have expanded but stayed intact. Incubator has been set between 99.5-101 degrees Fahrenheit and between 45-55% humidity. Have had difficulty regulating temp/humidity throughout. I have placed 3 devices (gauge, probe, digital) temp and hygrometers because I don’t know what I’m doing. I’m still learning but I just feel like the development does not appear to be appropriate in size for being day 19; seems too small? I would greatly appreciate advice regarding:
1. Approximate # of day this egg may be? (according to development seen in pics/video).
2. Is air cell appropriate size for # of day? What is needed to encourage air cell growth.
3. Should I be leaving wax on damaged part to the end or remove when egg goes into lockdown? It’s a very light layer.
4. Appropriate temp/humidity up until lockdown and last 3 days of incubation.
Thank you all in advance and I look forward to learning and sharing to come!!!

Attachments

• A8281DB4-F4D9-476C-9EA6-D5D337084910.jpeg
    A8281DB4-F4D9-476C-9EA6-D5D337084910.jpeg
    57.7 KB · Views: 28
  • 3D378B02-6EB6-4FEE-B589-7465C7F32C3C.jpeg
    3D378B02-6EB6-4FEE-B589-7465C7F32C3C.jpeg
    83.8 KB · Views: 23
  • 8F3DF7BF-98C8-43E4-974A-35414779962A.jpeg
    8F3DF7BF-98C8-43E4-974A-35414779962A.jpeg
    107.7 KB · Views: 25
  • A91549EA-945D-4674-915B-CFF53329610C.jpeg
    A91549EA-945D-4674-915B-CFF53329610C.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Actually, my apologies to @Pyxis, I think I should have said she is THE incubating expert here... I am still learning who's who around here *blush*.

@HayHayComet, @Pyxis has written a very thorough and helpful article on hatching, complete with pictures, that you will no doubt find helpful. I'm sure she'll post the link for you, I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it.

I don't know about the incubator you bought. What is your humidity? Your temp seems ok. If the temperature ran a little high the chicks can hatch a day or two early and if it's low a day or two late. Have you calibrated your thermometers. Also the hygrometer could be off a little. If you incubate at too high of humidity that can affect the hatch. Lower humidity is good for incubation because the eggs need to loose some moisture during incubation. I have had successful hatches in an homemade incubator I made with a styrofoam cooler. Please give up a progress update. Good luck and have fun...

Actually, my apologies to @Pyxis, I think I should have said she is THE incubating expert here... I am still learning who's who around here *blush*.

@HayHayComet, @Pyxis has written a very thorough and helpful article on hatching, complete with pictures, that you will no doubt find helpful. I'm sure she'll post the link for you, I'm not computer-savvy enough to do it.

Thank you so very much @BigBlueHen53 for your help!

Back
Top Bottom