Need help identifying this breed

Pics
Please explain...?

This is the staining I was seeing.
20210123_180619.jpg

This is a normal silver. No staining to be seen
8f800b725e262d0b07c2a5ae86305fb0.jpg

There's no staining on this bird - She's a Citron not a Silver :) Her colour is a diluted gold.
I know that now, perhaps that wasn't the right word. I was trying to explain the yellowing I was seeing to the OP since they thought she was just a silver.

How did you make such a color? Just breeding gold to silver? Or did you use a buff laced?

I know that now, perhaps that wasn't the right word. I was trying to explain the yellowing I was seeing to the OP since they thought she was just a silver.

How did you make such a color? Just breeding gold to silver? Or did you use a buff laced?
OH hehe :)

I did not breed this hen, I purchased her as a chick. AS I understand it, Citron is a diluted gold. (Gold bird plus an additional dilute gene)

It has been proposed that originally the diluting gene was built into the silver sebrights to create a cleaner silver. I've never found any definite references but it's "assumed" that someone sometime bred silvers and golds together and the dilution then took effect on the gold - arriving at Citron. However it came to be, I love it and am actively working on getting more of it into my flock.

And this is why it’s so hard to work out what breed she is...
It is a GLW with poor lacing. The seller already got the breed wrong. I wouldn't exactly trust them after that. GLWs and Sebrights look nothing alike.

Did you pay for a pullet? If so, I would just touch base with the seller and let them know this is likely a cockerel. Big price difference.

OH hehe :)

I did not breed this hen, I purchased her as a chick. AS I understand it, Citron is a diluted gold. (Gold bird plus an additional dilute gene)

It has been proposed that originally the diluting gene was built into the silver sebrights to create a cleaner silver. I've never found any definite references but it's "assumed" that someone sometime bred silvers and golds together and the dilution then took effect on the gold - arriving at Citron. However it came to be, I love it and am actively working on getting more of it into my flock.
I'm going to have to try and make some myslef. Maybe a buff and silver would work? I have buffs comming, it wouldn't be hard to add silvers or and holds to my order

It is a GLW with poor lacing. The seller already got the breed wrong. I wouldn't exactly trust them after that. GLWs and Sebrights look nothing alike.

Did you pay for a pullet? If so, I would just touch base with the seller and let them know this is likely a cockerel. Big price difference.
Yes I paid for a pullet and was told both prior to me travelling to pick her up and once I got there that she was 100% definitely a girl...

Back
Top Bottom