Need help identifying this breed

Pics
What about the fact that she doesn’t have spurs like 99.9%cockles do
My English Orpingtons don't get any sort of spur until they are nearly a year old. Caspian, my Silver-laced Orpington is going on a year now and has tiny bumps. So using spurs, or the lack thereof, to sex a cockerel is not an accurate way of doing so.
And yeah, i can't really sex chickens,
So why are you saying its a pullet if you can't sex them?
Otherwise here is a barnavelders who looks like Audrey too....
A Barnevelder cockerel. That bird is not a pullet.

This is a pullet...

Barnevelder Hen.jpg

This is a rooster with females...

Barnevelder Flock 1.jpg
Barnevelder Flock.jpg
Barnevelder Rooster 1.jpg
Barnevelder Rooster.jpg

my new silkie chicks
Males, and with single combs that are red at this age indicate male, and poor quality in terms of meeting the breed standard.
What about these 2?
Pullets
And this one?
Pullet
last one for now....
Pullet

david rose pop GIF by Schitt's Creek

Other than having the Silkied gene and dark skin and possibly five toes what makes them a Silkie? Because the seller said so? I can say a muffed and bearded Easter Egger that lays blue eggs is an Ameraucana all day but if it doesn't meet the breed standard of perfection then it's not. The same applies to those birds. No Silkies have single combs. They should be walnut. Additionally they should be mulberry colored, not Drop Dead Barred Rock Red.

david rose pop GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

Other than having the Silkied gene and dark skin and possibly five toes what makes them a Silkie? Because the seller said so? I can say a muffed and bearded Easter Egger that lays blue eggs is an Ameraucana all day but if it doesn't meet the breed standard of perfection then it's not. The same applies to those birds. No Silkies have single combs. They should be walnut. Additionally they should be mulberry colored, not Drop Dead Barred Rock Red.
your dead right!🤣 Just a while ago I thought that my EE mixes were Ameraucana mixes, but the best on BYC helped me find out that they are easter eggers! Very funny. I would consider most of the people in this thread to be professionals on chicken keeping ✨ *besides myself haha*

My English Orpingtons don't get any sort of spur until they are nearly a year old. Caspian, my Silver-laced Orpington is going on a year now and has tiny bumps. So using spurs, or the lack thereof, to sex a cockerel is not an accurate way of doing so.

So why are you saying its a pullet if you can't sex them?

A Barnevelder cockerel. That bird is not a pullet.

This is a pullet...

View attachment 2546053

This is a rooster with females...

View attachment 2546051View attachment 2546052View attachment 2546054View attachment 2546055

Males, and with single combs that are red at this age indicate male, and poor quality in terms of meeting the breed standard.

Pullets

Pullet

Pullet
Oh :)

david rose pop GIF by Schitt's Creek's Creek

Well, they also have large crests, feathered feet, and seem to be the size and shape of a silkie. They just lack walnut combs and aren’t fully fibromelanistic. I’m not saying they’re good quality, but I’ve seen hatchery silkies that were much worse, yet were still silkies. Hatchery silkies will lack feathered feet, crests, walnut combs, and be huge compared to a good quality silkie, but they’re still the result of (poor quality) silkie x (poor quality) silkie. They aren’t a mix, as there’s no outside breeds being introduced into their gene pool, just badly bred. If these are mixes, they are probably silkie mix X silkie mix. I would be more inclined to believe the seller, unless they were sold as sexed pullets (which they obviously aren’t) then I would view them as more unreliable.

I don't believe walnut combs spontaneously produce single combed birds when mated together. Their comb is enough reason to say they are mixed.
They can if they have the recessive single comb gene, which is surprisingly common in silkies. Walnut combs involve the rose comb and pea comb genes. Having two copies of the rose comb gene, which I understand is needed for a pure walnut comb, decreases fertility. Which is why you see so many sebrights, wyandottes, and other breeds with singles instead of rose combs. Because, in a hatchery breeding group, the birds with single combs or one single comb gene have more offspring than the ones with two rose comb genes. Even show quality birds often have this problem. And, if the person who sold those cockerels got the parent stock from a hatchery, then they’re still going to have those recessive and incorrect traits.

Back
Top Bottom