Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Thanks! I have an avian vet in Cincinnati but since he is improving I have held off on going. It's a two hour drive for me and I'm trying not to stress him right now. Being away from my two hens plus a car ride would stress him. This all started three weeks ago. He is about 75% improved. I'd give him a 100% improvement rating if his urates would turn all the way white. That has improved drastically. It started off green. Then mustard yellow and now its light yellow. He has made good progress. Still losing a few feathers. Still pale. But his energy is normal now. I did read that you can take a sample of the feather or some skin around the feather like with a qtip and see if the vet sees evidence of mites like the depluming mite. I can take that to my local vet and I may give him a call. He's ok for simple things like that.

:thumbsup

:pop Following to learn ... I do agree about stopping ALL supplements, forget the "organic", check out Texas Kiki's Feed Comparison chart (I feed my girls Flock Raiser, Oyster Shells in a separate dish) go with the higher protein (no feed changes from chick to adult & helps when molting). I never had issues with eggs and shells.

Edited - Back to the original question about the feed ... It's probably the start of molding. Fermented feed smells like sour dough (I ferment). Not sure which is better, metal or plastic container to store feed, which ever does less "sweating". Think most use metal containers.

If the coccidiosis treatment wasn't given according to instructions he could still be suffering.
@Wyorp Rock knows a proper dosage.

I believe wyorp rock and casaport pony (sorry if I got spelling wrong) were the two I got dosages from. I checked this so many times. I am confident I got it right. The corid got rid of it ... temporarily. It always came back. I even did the extended treatment each time. I finally gave the oregano and stopped seeing blood. I haven't seen blood since November.

I believe wyorp rock and casaport pony (sorry if I got spelling wrong) were the two I got dosages from. I checked this so many times. I am confident I got it right. The corid got rid of it ... temporarily. It always came back. I even did the extended treatment each time. I finally gave the oregano and stopped seeing blood. I haven't seen blood since November.
You mentioned you had to use a few rounds of Corid back then. One round of Corid should have solved the problem if it was a " regular" strain of coccidia.
My point is that the damage done to his intestines back then/at that time...could have been irreversible.

You mentioned you had to use a few rounds of Corid back then. One round of Corid should have solved the problem if it was a " regular" strain of coccidia.
My point is that the damage done to his intestines back then/at that time...could have been irreversible.

That's what I'm afraid of. That maybe he is anemic as a result of blood loss and unable to absorb iron etc bc of the damage. I remember reading back then that one bad bout can damage them and cause future health issues. In October he was six weeks old and still had bleeding for four days despite starting corid. In the past when I had different chickens it cleared up with one treatment (with the exception of my hen mentioned previously and she had other issues). I am afraid the oregano has caused issues with iron absorption as well. I didn't know this until a few days ago.

IMG_7653.JPG
This is a recent picture of him. 21 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom