Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Pics
I do see occasional orange pieces in his stool consistent with gut sloughing. I've seen this off and on for years of my chickens but mostly when they are babies. Could I still be seeing this in him bc he does have damage? Would that be a symptom? His stools are totally normal minus the urates.

Last edited:
I mistakenly had moved my entire bag outside for about a month where it was kept away from rain (it has rained here a lot this past year) in their chicken run but the ground was damp. It apparently soaked in through the bag but the temps have been very cold. Had not noticed any issues with the feed but since my rooster was sick I was looking at every option. So when I realized my food was in a damp area I brought the feed in my house and within a few days I guess it was warm enough in my house that it began to just stink. I thought it smelled like molasses. My daughter described it as cantaloupe. A very sweet smell. My husband said it didn't smell like mold but smelled soured. I dumped it out and there were some wet clumps on the bottom but no fuzz and no obvious mold. Is it possible the feed just fermented? I use natures own organic starter.

I have replaced the feed with new feed and it smells normal. So there is definitely something wrong with the old bag. However they ate that feed for maybe four days after I brought it into my house. I'm just curious if this could be mold. I have them on acv in case that helps if t is mold. Thanks.

He had coccidia with oregano treatment in November and got pale in December. I read oregano can prevent iron absorption so it could be anemia as well. I have no idea. Currently I'm giving him vitamins alternating with acv, milk thistle in case it's liver related, and raw burger with vitamin c in case it's anemia

I gave him three rounds of corid at the correct dosage and for the correct duration back in October and November and it kept recurring.
Bloody stools are generally considered to be from Coccidiosis, but something like Enteritis can also present with bloody stools. At 5 months old, that's something to consider.
This is the same bird you have a thread on here? https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/mustard-colored-urates-stool-otherwise-normal.1289134/

If your food was moldy, that could be part of the problem. But I would have expected to see other birds with similar symptoms not just the cockerel, unless he already was immune compromised by something else.
Mycotoxicosis.
http://www.thepoultrysite.com/diseaseinfo/100/mycotoxicosis/

It's good that you threw out the feed. Buy fresh, but look at the tag to make sure the feed is no more than at max 4 weeks old when you buy it. If it's in "code" the manufacturer can tell you how to read it. They have to put a date code on the bags.
If it's stale or out of date, buy something else that is fresh. Since he's having problems, I would definitely keep him on a chick starter or feed that is 18-20% protein. (I think I mentioned that in the other thread). If you feel he is anemic, get him a direct dose of Poultry Cell for 3 days in a row. I'm not really a fan of giving raw to chickens (my preference), a lot of people do, I would not give the hamburger, but you can give 1teaspoon raw or cooked liver for a few days.

I agree with @Melky on feed storage. Those look nice! I buy gamma seals to go on food grade buckets - works really well and I can shut tightly, plus I bucket is easier to move around for me than a large trash can, I'm getting old and creaky:D

Yes that is the same rooster. His urates have improved since then. I am going on the hunt for some new feed. Can you share your favorite feed? I'm not against ordering online if it's not local for me. I called tractor supply about poultry cell yesterday and both stores were out. I was nervous about using it bc I don't completely know if his liver is compromised and read that red cell and poultry cell are heavy metals that are hard on the liver. I know nothing about any of it. I also do not want to add it to water since I don't want my girls on it right now. I need to be able to dose him individually.

Yes that is the same rooster. His urates have improved since then. I am going on the hunt for some new feed. Can you share your favorite feed? I'm not against ordering online if it's not local for me. I called tractor supply about poultry cell yesterday and both stores were out. I was nervous about using it bc I don't completely know if his liver is compromised and read that red cell and poultry cell are heavy metals that are hard on the liver. I know nothing about any of it. I also do not want to add it to water since I don't want my girls on it right now. I need to be able to dose him individually.
Well, I don't feed organic. I use a 20% all flock type feed. Purina Flock Raiser or southern states brand. I feed these year round.
I do use Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-Drench, but the Nutri-Drench does not have the B vitamins like the PC.
You can direct dose either of these at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. I would only direct dose for about 3 days in a row. Excess B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so you can't really "overload" on those, but still I like the limit the amount of time I direct dose a bird.

Red Cell, I'm not familiar with - that's formulated for horses correct?
Here's an easy way to direct dose
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/

Well, I don't feed organic. I use a 20% all flock type feed. Purina Flock Raiser or southern states brand. I feed these year round.
I do use Poultry Cell and Poultry Nutri-Drench, but the Nutri-Drench does not have the B vitamins like the PC.
You can direct dose either of these at 1cc per 3 pounds of weight. I would only direct dose for about 3 days in a row. Excess B vitamins are excreted in the urine, so you can't really "overload" on those, but still I like the limit the amount of time I direct dose a bird.

Red Cell, I'm not familiar with - that's formulated for horses correct?
Here's an easy way to direct dose
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...er-construction-check-back-for-updates.73335/
Thanks so much. I actually cheat with dosing and put it in bread, fold it over, and pop it right in. Works like magic. I'll look for that feed. I am pretty sure I saw purina flock raiser yesterday at tractor supply and it was on clearance bc it was so old. It is just impossible to find anything fresh around here.

Thanks so much. I actually cheat with dosing and put it in bread, fold it over, and pop it right in. Works like magic. I'll look for that feed. I am pretty sure I saw purina flock raiser yesterday at tractor supply and it was on clearance bc it was so old. It is just impossible to find anything fresh around here.
LOL Good idea! Even if I put something on bread they won't eat it:rolleyes: They know it's "trap"! I have to do it the "hard way".

OH! Nope, if it's on clearance because it's old, that's a no go! I have bought chick starter instead just because of fresh dates. Chick starter won't hurt them, just make sure you have oyster shell free choice for the active layers.

I know this is off the subject of moldy feed but thought I'd mention this since you've had issues with coccidiosis. I ran across a couple articles a while back while researching fatty liver that mentioned studies suggesting that immunization of chickens against coccidiosis is enhanced by Selenium or vitamin E supplementation. I tried to find article I initially read but could not find it. But here is another one. Not sure if it helps once hen has it or not since I have not read further on the subject??16460398_Effect_of_Selenium_and_Vitamin_E_on_the_Development_of_Immunity_to_Coccidiosis_in_Chickens

LOL Good idea! Even if I put something on bread they won't eat it:rolleyes: They know it's "trap"! I have to do it the "hard way".

OH! Nope, if it's on clearance because it's old, that's a no go! I have bought chick starter instead just because of fresh dates. Chick starter won't hurt them, just make sure you have oyster shell free choice for the active layers.

Mine won't eat the bread either. They are way too smart! I pull my roosters beard down and pop it in. It makes it easier if they have wattles.

I know this is off the subject of moldy feed but thought I'd mention this since you've had issues with coccidiosis. I ran across a couple articles a while back while researching fatty liver that mentioned studies suggesting that immunization of chickens against coccidiosis is enhanced by Selenium or vitamin E supplementation. I tried to find article I initially read but could not find it. But here is another one. Not sure if it helps once hen has it or not since I have not read further on the subject??16460398_Effect_of_Selenium_and_Vitamin_E_on_the_Development_of_Immunity_to_Coccidiosis_in_Chickens
Fantastic I will check it out!

Back
Top Bottom