Need help identifying what happened to my feed

Pics
I'm outside right now with him. Just gave him his burger. He happily ate it. I place him in my lap facing me and so he can't run off. But when I'm done with him he nearly falls over. He has done so well today. It's almost like he has an injury and I'm flaring it each time I pick him up. To describe what he does it's like a human with a knee buckling on them. Not constant. But he doesn't like to put weight on it. Doesn't hold it up.

I just palpated it and he's very tender in the hock. He would pull away when I touched him in that one spot.

Mine won't eat the bread either. They are way too smart! I pull my roosters beard down and pop it in. It makes it easier if they have wattles.

Any thoughts on Modesto mills? They have a corn free and soy free option. They told me firsthand they bag their feed weekly so it's always fresh.

I'm outside right now with him. Just gave him his burger. He happily ate it. I place him in my lap facing me and so he can't run off. But when I'm done with him he nearly falls over. He has done so well today. It's almost like he has an injury and I'm flaring it each time I pick him up. To describe what he does it's like a human with a knee buckling on them. Not constant. But he doesn't like to put weight on it. Doesn't hold it up.

I just palpated it and he's very tender in the hock. He would pull away when I touched him in that one spot.
I've heard of Modesto Mills but have not used it, I'm sure that @Texas Kiki probably has it listed on her feed comparison chart. As long as it's touted as a complete poultry feed and is fresh, I'm sure it would be fine.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/feed-comparison-spreadsheet.1275920/

I like to stand mine on a table to medicate and/or just give a good exam. I actually have a table in one section of my run for this purpose. Of course it's a nice hang spot for a few of the young birds too.
Have you taken a really good look at that hock even under the feathers to see if there is swelling, a bruise/discoloration?
With it being tender, it could be injury, but this has been going on for a while, so I would try to get a better look.

IMG_7550.JPG
Full body picture of him & both his legs. Have you compared his two legs? Is it both hocks that you feel he's having an issue with? Are they red? Swollen? Is this a new problem? It's possible he jumped off a roost & sprained/hurt his leg ...

It is actually slightly above the true hock area. I guess the thigh would be more appropriate unless this is the same as the hock. His actual legs are the same. No swelling or warmth. This all started when my hen began sparring with him. She's not rough with him as in bullying but she is very playful. She would over power him and he went down on that leg a few times. That was back in November and December. Right before he seemed to get weak. Also I have been after my husband to make the small run door taller. He has a hard time squatting to get in he's so tall.

This is a pic from a few days ago. I'll try to get a better one tmrw.

Last edited:
Have you taken a really good look at that hock even under the feathers to see if there is swelling, a bruise/discoloration?
With it being tender, it could be injury, but this has been going on for a while, so I would try to get a better look.

He was doing really well today until I held him. When I pick him up and then sit him down he falls/leans to the left. I have to hold him up until he gets his feet under him. It's like all his weight falls on that side. I will set my phone up tmrw and get a video of him doing this so you can see easier. It's definitely not swollen. Can chickens tear muscles?

Back
Top Bottom