Mustard colored urates, stool otherwise normal

Pics

mama23

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 5, 2009
IMG_7550.JPG
IMG_7557.JPG
My rooster is 20 weeks old. Two weeks ago he started acting weak, sort of falling to one side and decreased appetite. He also started with yellow urates. I have had mareks here in the past and was afraid he was falling into it. I increased his protein and his stability improved (though still present) and his stools returned to normal consistency. His appetite is good. However his urates are still mustard yellow. I have him on immuno charge (same company that puts out avia charge) and also have him on milk thistle which I have used many times in the past on hens with liver issues with good results. Despite being on milk thistle two weeks his urates are still yellow. I'm at a loss. If it were bacterial the immuno charge should help. If it were his liver that should have improved with the milk thistle. If he is fighting a mild case of mareks is it possible he is still just stressed? Is there any other explanation I'm overlooking? He is not dehydrated. The only health issue he has had is coccidia when he was 6 weeks old. It kept coming back on him through a few corrid treatments and I finally switched to an extremely diluted oregano oil to get rid of it completely. No recurrence since then. I will attach his stool pics as well as a recent pic of him in case anyone sees anything off. Thank you.

Attachments

• IMG_7566.PNG
    IMG_7566.PNG
    1.6 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Do you have a vet near by that would be able to do tests on a fecal sample? Trying to read through the post to get the time lines down. Would you be able to get a picture of the poop in natural day light?

IMG_7534.JPG
IMG_7507.JPG
IMG_7567.JPG
I may be able to get a little stool sampling kit from my local vet so I can mail it off to my avian vet. He is two hours away. Here is a pic I took just now in natural light. It has pine shavings on it.

Also I forgot to mention this but he's been losing a lot of wing and tail feathers. But not in the usual moulting way. They almost look broken off. There is blood at the end. He is not bullied. No parasites. This is what I suspect started all of this. His wing feathers are weird looking the way they lay. He can jump up and down fine. I'll snap a pic of his wing feathers when I go back out. I'll attach some weird feathers I've found in the house and yard.

IMG_7517.JPG
Here is a pic of his right wing I took the other day. His left wing looks similar but worse. There are smaller feathers regrowing.

It does seem like there's more going on than just the off color urate. I can't find any pictures from when mine had similar. They looked normal like yours. It went away in less than a week. The only thing we could think was they had discovered my herbs I had on the front porch and pretty much ate them down to stems in one afternoon.

And yes the mail order fecal tests might even be available online.

IMG_7569.JPG
I did do two new things before this all started too. I switched shavings to the "mini" and they do eat them. Also I dusted them with Seven bc I thought I had felt something like a grain mite crawl on me. That was about a month ago. Not sure that would have done anything?!

I'm outside with him right now and he will stand here and kind of lose balance. Like a human that has knee issues and their knee buckles but they catch themselves. I haven't noticed any obvious injuries.

I attached a face shot. He looks so pale to me.

Last edited:
View attachment 1652049 I did do two new things before this all started too. I switched shavings to the "mini" and they do eat them. Also I dusted them with Seven bc I thought I had felt something like a grain mite crawl on me. That was about a month ago. Not sure that would have done anything?!

I'm outside with him right now and he will stand here and kind of lose balance. Like a human that has knee issues and their knee buckles but they catch themselves. I haven't noticed any obvious injuries.

I attached a face shot. He looks so pale to me.
How long has it been since you treated with seven dust?

About 1-2 weeks before I started noticing his issues. Maybe a month ago.

Back
Top Bottom